3148Re: [SabreSailboat] Re: Emergency Tiller Access Plate - S34 MkI

  • dave@sailonset.com
    May 1, 2006
      All,
      Full agreement with the problem(s)!

      I used some rope caulk from Ace Hardware to replace the grey stuff that
      was leaking. Probably because I'd opened it up to see how it works! The
      idea of smashing through the plate in an emergency is plausable but just
      what you'd need in a real emergency (not).

      I've considered replacing it with a small spin-off deck plate.

      dge

      > Carter:
      >
      > I think the reason the original cover was made of cheap plastic was so
      > that in an emergency, you could just bash it with the end of the
      > emergency tiller. At least that's what I was told.
      >
      > Eric
      > Sabre 30 #36 "Spirit"
      > West River, MD
      >
      > --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Carter Brey wrote:
      > >
      > > Greg,
      > >
      > > I'm just about to replace mine and was wondering the same thing. It's
      > > not the greatest design, is it? Mine had broken at the edges from
      > > pressure stress at the fasteners as well as the kicking and scraping of
      > > innumerable boat shoes. On my new one, I'm using finishing washers to
      > > spread the load a bit, rather than chamfering the screw holes.
      > >
      > > I'm thinking that the simplest solution might be to spread a thin layer
      > > of silicone on the bottom of the plate as well as in the screw holes.
      > > Adhesion is not an issue, just sealing against water intrusion. In the
      > > rare and unlikely event that you need to pop it open, you could just
      > > re-seal it the same way after scraping off the old silicone.
      > >
      > > I was also considering some sort of thin rubber gasket, but I'm not
      > sure
      > > such a thing would make as good a seal, considering the molded-in
      > > nonskid surrounding the hole.
      > >
      > > As someone else on the list has pointed out, it's a darkly funny fact
      > > that any situation requiring use of the emergency tiller would most
      > > likely be one in which fumbling for and with a screwdriver would not be
      > > the helmsman's first priority. Some kind of tool-less release mechanism
      > > would be a welcome improvement.
      > >
      > > Best regards,
      > > Carter Brey
      > > s/v Delphine