26556Re: [SabreSailboat] Re: Hurricane Preparations?

  • Mike
    Sep 1, 2010

      Here is the recommendation from Keyport Yacht Club in NJ in the Raritan Bay.

      The path of the eye of Hurricane  Earl is projected to pass East of KYC and the eastern seaboard sometime during Friday or Saturday.  If
      Earl passes close to the Eastern Seaboard, high winds and seas and high tides are expected for Raritan Bay and Keyport.  Winds from the storm are expected to
      start from an easterly direction and rotate around to the Northwest, with possible speeds that may exceed 40 knots.  A strong cold
      front will follow the passage of Earl with strong Northwest winds.  Members are advised to follow reliable weather forecasts to stay informed  as to the storm's progress.
      Historically boats in the Keyport Yacht Club Anchorage have been at risk of damage from high winds, from grounding due to dragging of mooring
      tackle or parting of mooring lines or failure of the point of attachment of the mooring lines (cleats or Sampson posts).

      Members are advised to take precautions to minimize the chance of damage from high winds or failure of mooring tackle.  Some insurance company policies will cover some of the costs of moving covered boats or removing boats to dry land.
      Printed below is an excerpt from information delivered by an e-mail sent by Member Vince Salese regarding preparation for storms.  Our thanks to Vince for the excellent presentation.
      ON DECK
      • Remove anything on deck that isn't securely attached (bolted) to the deck such as spare fuel and water tanks, boat poles, fenders, ladders, dinghies, seat cushions, life ring, wind generator, removable electronics etc.
        Anything above deck can break loose and become damaging.
      • If you’re tempted to leave the sails on and simply lash them securely, remember that they greatly increase windage and the strain on mooring lines and equipment; it’s always better to remove them completely.
      • If you choose to leave your sails on - take several wraps of your sheets around the headsail and cleat off your sheets as well as the roller furler line. Lash the main and cover to the boom with a long line starting at the mast and ending at the boom end.
        TIP: if you have a spare headsail halyard, tightly wrap it in a spiral fashion down and around the headsail and secure it to the stem head or furler drum.
        Remove dodger, bimini and lash the frames securely.
      • Double up the mooring lines. Spread the load over multiple deck cleats. If your cleats are small or may not be backed adequately, you can even run lines from the bow chocks back to the mast. Then apply chafe gear at the chocks. Use segments of plastic hose, canvas or leather wraps, or even plastic grocery bags well secured with duct tape. Make sure the chafing gear covers a good length of the lines on both sides of the chocks. During a hurricane, there is no such thing as too many lines, nor too many attachment points on the boat.
      • Clean anything from the cockpit that could block the drains or scuppers.
      INTERIOR
      • Secure items in the cabin. Check cabinets and drawers for items that may spill, break, or cause damage if thrown about.
      • Charge all batteries: And consider backup batteries capable of running bilge pumps for the duration of the storm.
      • Cut off all devices that can consume electricity except bilge pumps
      • Make sure your bilge pump is on automatic
      • Use duct tape to seal hatches and any points where the wind could drive water into the boat. Cap ventilators and dorades.
      • Close the seacocks on all through-hulls except cockpit and deck drains. The vibration of storm battering may loosen worn hoses or fittings.
      • Photograph all installed boat equipment above and below deck. You may need proof for a later insurance claim.
      • Remove all valuables and electronics as well.
      When everything is secure, get off the boat and stay off! No amount of damage to the boat is worth the risks to life or limbs.
      The last two steps to hurricane preparedness for your boat actually take place on land:
      1. Get your insurance policy up to date and anything else that money can't replace.
      2. Leave. Do NOT stay on a boat during a hurricane. Do not stay in the path of a hurricane at all.
      Respectfully,

      George Druist

      From: David Evans <dave@...>
      To: Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Tuesday, August 31, 2010, 2:19 PM

      Garden hose may be a poor choice for chafing gear. Nylon builds up heat as
      it streches, and non-breathing plastic will contain said heat, leading to
      failure. Better the traditional fire hose or the more-readily-available
      woven polyester from marine suppliers.
      dge

      > In addition to taking all the sails, dodger and bimini off whenever there
      > are storms predicted and I am leaving the boat I thread my mooring and
      > dock lines through sections of garden hose to act a as chafe gear. You may
      > have to duck tape the ends to prevent sliding but the hose provides really
      > good protection.

    • Show all 15 messages in this topic