      From: Ira Baline <darwindad2@...>
      Subject: Re: [SabreSailboat] Re: Hurricane Preparations?
      To: Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Wednesday, September 1, 2010, 7:34 AM

      Thanks for all of the good advice.  I started prep last night and I'll go back tonight. Almost everything applies except that I have a tiller. That is now in the vertical position and lashed to the adjustable back stay lines and tackle - not as much horizontal resistance as if tied off to the winches. Thoughts?  (Who knew about dish washing liquid as a lubricant? )   I'll report after the storm.

      Ira S28 Morning Star

      On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 6:02 AM, john kalinowski <sabre32sailor@...> wrote:
      I agree.
      Hose is known to build up heat which is the enemy of your mooring pennant.
      Better to pour dish soap into the mooring line (Lanolin is even better).
      If you do not have ballistic nylon covers, use lots of wet rags.
      I also take a spare dock line and attach it to the ring and onto the front cleat.
      I put in an extra 1-2' of slack.
      Should I lose both mooring pennants, it is my back up.
      Then again, I use commerical mooring lines with ballistic nylon shields built in.
      Them puppies can hold a 150' fishing boat.
      If in the boston area, Roses in Glouchester sells them.
      put a piece of electrical tape on the line where it exits your furler.  Then manually spin the furler to suck all the line coming to the cockpit into the furler housing.  Nothing to scratch your deck.
      Make sure your bilge pump is the only active circuit before you leave the boat.  If some dragging boat holes your hull, this may save your boat.
      Couple of other items you will not find on most lists.
      Either tie you halyards up every 2' with sail ties as far you can reach, or pull them out toward the ends of the boat to keep from scratching your mast paint. Do not attach to the pulpits in case another dragging boat tangles with yours and rolls it on it's side.
      Tie a line from each side of the wheel to stanchions and snug down with a trucker knot. Takes the load off the wheel brake.
      remove the boom, or use old life jackets to jam in in the cockpit.  Tie down.
      Put some half hitches behind you clutches in case they pop up.
      Strip your sails. None of this tying up with a sail tie. Strip them.
      Never have seen a insurance policy that includes sails, so put them below.
      At a minimum, you will have your sunscreen ripped up.
      Remove spinnaker blocks so they are not beating the stern corners of your boat.
      Pump the holding tank, add water, and flush again.  Would stink to find the boat is fine,but a holding tank hose connect failed.
      Take some photos with today's newspaper.  Makes insurance claims a lot easier when you can show you did everything possible.
      Good luck folks!