26117Re: [SabreSailboat] Re: Swim ladder with stern pupit

  • Leonard Bertaux
    Aug 2, 2010
      David

      The SS work on most late model Sabres was fabricated by a shop in Michigan, "Tops in Quality: is their name. They would have the ability to fabricate a ladder to your specifications. I have heard from others who have had made to order work that they are reasonable and produce accurate work from your plans or specifications.

      Len Bertaux
      Walkabout S38 MKII

      On Aug 2, 2010, at 11:49 AM, dleedvm wrote:

      Thanks, everyone, for your reponses! I like the looks of the ladder on the Sabre 34. The only difference is that your stern pulpit has two rails whereas the 28 only has one. Still, I wouldn't think cutting it would alter the structural integrity all that much. I also appreciate the caveats about the stern vs. a side ladder. I will look for a folding ladder for the side. Thanks again.
      David

      --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "robert dubee" <rdubee@...> wrote:

      > Swim / boarding ladder for my Sabre 34
      > was very simple and inexpensive. Purchased
      > a folding teak ladder from local marine
      > store. High quality and just one hinge off
      > eye hook. Extends down to 7 feet so it
      > makes easy access from swimming or
      > from a dingy. Attaches on to two eye hooks
      > screwed into toe rail beside starrboard
      > gate. Stores nicely in forward sail locker.
      > Weighs about 25 pounds.
      > Only issue would be with man overboard
      > emergency, one would have to leave
      > cockpit to retrieve laddar. Could also
      > store it in cockpit sail locker.
      > For the above reason we recently also
      > got a stern ladder for safety reasons
      > which is easy to let down and climb
      > aboard and you never have to leave
      > the wheel.
      > The solid teak ladder cost about $250
      > 20 years ago and is a lot less expensive
      > than the new stern ladder that had to
      > be custom made.
      >

      > Sent from my iPhone
      >
      > On Aug 1, 2010, at 8:39 AM, "jack horner" <captbluwater@...>
      > wrote:
      >
      > > DAN , I have cut my stern pulpit top rail out with my roto zip
      > > grinder. I love it now i have a knee replacement and in sunny
      > > Florida.So the top rail was a problem. I cut it one inch from the
      > > weld to allow a Bimini end fitting and chain with a snap shackle. I
      > > also split my Sabre 28's back stay to free the area.
      > > I just love it now. Go cruising and step in the the hard dink from
      > > the stern. Just tie off fore and aft ! Best of luck i have pix to
      > > if you like ... Lee

    • Show all 10 messages in this topic