26116Re: Swim ladder with stern pupit

  • dleedvm
    Aug 2, 2010
      Thanks, everyone, for your reponses! I like the looks of the ladder on the Sabre 34. The only difference is that your stern pulpit has two rails whereas the 28 only has one. Still, I wouldn't think cutting it would alter the structural integrity all that much. I also appreciate the caveats about the stern vs. a side ladder. I will look for a folding ladder for the side. Thanks again.
      David

      --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "robert dubee" <rdubee@...> wrote:

      > Swim / boarding ladder for my Sabre 34
      > was very simple and inexpensive. Purchased
      > a folding teak ladder from local marine
      > store. High quality and just one hinge off
      > eye hook. Extends down to 7 feet so it
      > makes easy access from swimming or
      > from a dingy. Attaches on to two eye hooks
      > screwed into toe rail beside starrboard
      > gate. Stores nicely in forward sail locker.
      > Weighs about 25 pounds.
      > Only issue would be with man overboard
      > emergency, one would have to leave
      > cockpit to retrieve laddar. Could also
      > store it in cockpit sail locker.
      > For the above reason we recently also
      > got a stern ladder for safety reasons
      > which is easy to let down and climb
      > aboard and you never have to leave
      > the wheel.
      > The solid teak ladder cost about $250
      > 20 years ago and is a lot less expensive
      > than the new stern ladder that had to
      > be custom made.
      >

      > Sent from my iPhone
      >
      > On Aug 1, 2010, at 8:39 AM, "jack horner" <captbluwater@...>
      > wrote:
      >
      > > DAN , I have cut my stern pulpit top rail out with my roto zip
      > > grinder. I love it now i have a knee replacement and in sunny
      > > Florida.So the top rail was a problem. I cut it one inch from the
      > > weld to allow a Bimini end fitting and chain with a snap shackle. I
      > > also split my Sabre 28's back stay to free the area.
      > > I just love it now. Go cruising and step in the the hard dink from
      > > the stern. Just tie off fore and aft ! Best of luck i have pix to
      > > if you like ... Lee

    • Show all 10 messages in this topic