24052Re: [SabreSailboat] Reefing lines size, Sabre 34-I

  • Leonard Bertaux
    Mar 1, 2010
      My North Mains both are able to flake and reach the hooks for #1 and #2 reef without dropping the slides, though #2 requires a bit of work. Seems curious to me that there are so many who have sails which don't allow this.

      sv/Walkabout S38 MKII

      On Mar 1, 2010, at 3:36 PM, Harry wrote:

      I like the idea of the strap, although I don't have one.  However, my problem is that if the sail slugs are left in the mast, the stack of slugs is so high (6"-12") that the cringle can't get down toward the hook.  The strap would help, of course, but I'm not sure that it should be allowed to elevate.

      I like the suggestion from Dave, that sounds like what is dimly in the back of my mind.  I need to play with some small stuff and see what I can make work -- and if I make it work, I'll post back here (but it will be summer time before I can do that!).

      On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 2:19 PM, Peter Tollini <pete@tollini. com> wrote:

      Harry -
      My North mains, old & new, have a heavy strap through the reef cringles with a 1.5" stainless ring on each end. I've seen it done with cable, but I prefer the cloth strap. You just pull one ring over the reefing hook & take up on the halyard.  It also protects you from accidentally punching the end of the reefing hook through the sail.

    • Show all 22 messages in this topic