24047Re: [SabreSailboat] Reefing lines size, Sabre 34-I

    Mar 1, 2010
      Harry,

      On point 1, I would leave them long, even though they are a pain. Leading them forward reduces the amount of movement to reef. While at the mast, you can hook the reef point on to the tack hooks and then pull the reef line to bring down the leech. The line will also be clear of the extra sail that's now draped around the boom. If you shorten the lines you'll need to find the end underneath all that fabric while balancing on the cabin top. A precarious position, works fine at the dock, but I'm not certain it works so well in 20Kts and 6 ft seas. True, you have to go up on the cabin top to tie in the 3 reef lines, but these are not critical to reefing and you've already reduced sail.

      On my Tanzer, the lower slugs were on a piece of small line, which allow the sail to drop with the slugs remaining in the track. Worked pretty well. AS I recall, the line ran down one side of the sail with a loop through each cringle. The slug was in this loop. The line was tight enough so that it held the sail close to the slug, as the sail dropped there was slack and the sail dropped.

      I'd draw a picture but I don't have a drawing program on this computer or a scanner.

      Dave

      On Mar 1, 2010, at 11:45 AM, Harry wrote:

      And since  we are on the subject of reefing, a comment and a question:

      *  Many of us (certainly here on the Chesapeake) may have need for the second reef (one addage has it that if you *think* about a reef, you are already due for a second reef), but we aren't necessarily sailing in 15 foot seas at 2:00 AM in the rain.  I'm contemplating shortening my reef lines so that they don't come forward when the sail is up.  Yes, a bit harder to reach when you need to reef, but not that bad, and the benefit is less spaghetti when the sail is down.  I am most inclined to do it to the second reef (since when the first goes in, the second can be brought forward), but maybe even both.  Any thoughts?

      *  And the question is about the tack.  I have two sails that came with my boat, one that was probably built for the boat and one that has someone else's number on it.  On both, the sail won't reach the tack hooks without taking the slugs out of the track -- a messy thing to do at reef time.  I believe that something called a "jack line" can fix it, but I'm not really sure how that is done -- and furthermore, since the sails weren't built that way, I wonder what the sailmaker intended.  Any thoughts on this?

      Harry
      Rantum Scoot
      '79 S34-I #063
      Luce Creek, Annapolis