24046Re: [SabreSailboat] Reefing lines size, Sabre 34-I

  • Harry
    Mar 1 8:45 AM
      And since  we are on the subject of reefing, a comment and a question:

      *  Many of us (certainly here on the Chesapeake) may have need for the second reef (one addage has it that if you *think* about a reef, you are already due for a second reef), but we aren't necessarily sailing in 15 foot seas at 2:00 AM in the rain.  I'm contemplating shortening my reef lines so that they don't come forward when the sail is up.  Yes, a bit harder to reach when you need to reef, but not that bad, and the benefit is less spaghetti when the sail is down.  I am most inclined to do it to the second reef (since when the first goes in, the second can be brought forward), but maybe even both.  Any thoughts?

      *  And the question is about the tack.  I have two sails that came with my boat, one that was probably built for the boat and one that has someone else's number on it.  On both, the sail won't reach the tack hooks without taking the slugs out of the track -- a messy thing to do at reef time.  I believe that something called a "jack line" can fix it, but I'm not really sure how that is done -- and furthermore, since the sails weren't built that way, I wonder what the sailmaker intended.  Any thoughts on this?

      Harry
      Rantum Scoot
      '79 S34-I #063
      Luce Creek, Annapolis