24045Re: [SabreSailboat] Reefing lines size, Sabre 34-I

  • Leonard Bertaux
    Mar 1, 2010
      FYI

      If your reefing setup is as mine, with the reef line passing through the cringle and then tied around the boom, you have two to one leverage and double the line diameter carrying the load at the cringle. So half the diameter of your halyard will be more than sufficient in terms of loading.

      Len Bertaux
      sv/Walkabout S38 MKII

      On Mar 1, 2010, at 10:58 AM, Jeff Bartlett wrote:

      Looking at the whole halyard/reef system, what can the system support, i.e. where is the weak link?  What load can all of the turning and deck lead blocks manage.  If you have a single line system, how strong are the blocks in it? Are they able to manage the potential load of a 3/8" line?  Do they really need to?  Is the line in the system the weak link, or is the weak link a 600# capacity turning block?  Unless the line is the weak link, upsizing lines is not improving the strength of the system.

      According to New England Ropes, 3/8" Sta-Set has a 4,400# tensile strength.  Does any cruiser come anywhere near putting a 4400# load on their main halyard?

      If you deadend the reefline at the reef tack, I would agree the load on the reef line would match the load on the halyard, but I have yet to see anyone who does not take advantage of at least a 2:1 system at the reef tack, which reduces the load on the reef line by 1/2.

      5/16 Sta-Set has a 3000# tensile strength.  1/4" Sta-Set has a 2000# rating which in a 2:1 system, would likely be plenty of strength opposite a 3/8" halyard.

      Once you figure out what the system can support, then you can figure out what you want.  There may be benefits to a different line size than required.  A different line size could work better with your existing hardware (winch, blocks, clutches, cleats).  A larger line size may be easier to handle.  A smaller line size can be coiled smaller and take up less space. Smaller size lines may take smaller (and less expensive) rope clutches

      Jeff B
      S28-546

      To: Sabresailboat@ yahoogroups. com
      From: mike.merriman1@verizon.net