24041Re: [SabreSailboat] Reefing lines size, Sabre 34-I

  • Harry
    Mar 1, 2010
    Here's two documents that might help:

    First is a document that someone sent me, I forget who, that looks like a genuine Sabre reference.  It shows all running rigging for a 34, and the reef lines are 5/16.

    Second is a Ronstan page, showing a single line reef system for boats to 33 feet (that is close enough to 34!), that shows the SINGLE reef line as 3/8.

    One thing to remember is that lines are sized not just for strength, but also for "handling" and for stretch.  The reef line is short, and handling (ability to hand-over-hand it under load) is not that big a deal, so it can be smaller than the halyard.  Also, line strengths in products like Sta-Set X have gone WAY up since the Sabre reference was published.

    One final thing -- stretch is not always a critical issue.  In this application, I would see it as a low importance item, since it is a short line and I'm not sure 1/2" or even 1" of stretch would be devestating.  However, wear (resistance to chafe and in this case, tendency to NOT chafe the sail!) and ease of working is perhaps higher on the list.  I am a bit of a fan of New England Ropes' "Regatta Braid."  It is 20% cheaper than Sta-Set-X, although it is also 15% less strength and double the stretch (3% vs 1.6%).  However, it is MUCH softer on the hands and runs much more freely, and nicer on a winch and cleat.

    Harry

    On Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 9:49 PM, <Neubsr@...> wrote:

    Jim - All of the control lines on my Sabre 36 are 3/8.
    Richard

  • Show all 22 messages in this topic