      From: Mike Merriman (Verizon) <mike.merriman1@...>
      To: Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Sun, February 28, 2010 8:51:06 PM
      Subject: Re: [SabreSailboat] Reefing lines size, Sabre 34-I

      think about it this way - the halyard is pulling the sail up - you're trying to pull the sail down with the reefing line.  The two should be the same size OR at least strength.  that said, my reefing lines are 1 size smaller than my halyard, and I figure if I blow one of them out, the reefing line is easier and cheaper to replace.

      Sent: Sunday, February 28, 2010 8:16 PM

      Thanks Mike for the info.  Not to disagree (because this is indeed why I'm asking), but that sounds pretty heavy.  I mean, our outhaul is roughly 5/16 or 3/8, and it doesn't look like anything larger would fit through the blocks.  Our halyards are probably closer to 1/2" (maybe 7/16"), but that seems pretty heavy for reef lines--am I wrong about this?