23191Re: [SabreSailboat] Re: Attention gearheads

  • Dan Trainor
    Dec 4, 2009
      Cool - Thanks.

      On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 2:06 PM, Peter Tollini <pete@...> wrote:

      Dan -
      Disconnect the wire and remove the glow plug like a spark plug. When you connect a  12v source to the connector on top (with 12 ga or heavier wire) and ground the base, the tip should heat up like an electric stove element.
      Pete

      On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 1:12 PM, Dan Trainor <daniel.trainor@...> wrote:

      Pete - hope all works out OK and it is a simple fix.  Question:  How do I determine if my glow plugs are cherry red?  Where / How do I look? - Dan

      On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 10:24 AM, Peter Tollini <pete@...> wrote:

      Thanks. The glow plugs got checked first - all cherry red in a few seconds.  Westerbekes love good glow or you are right, they are a bear to start.  I still have issues after it starts, though.
      Pete

      On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 9:51 AM, smofishlaw <fishlaw@...> wrote:

      I had pretty much the same problem with my W27A. After consulting with a few mechanics who had me ready to tear the fuel system down, I spoke with a friend who has a good general knowldeg of all things mechanical and electronic. He quickly deduced that my glow plugs were non-functional-of course I did not beleive him, since I could hear the solenoid making noise and the voltage dropped when I hit the switch. Turns out the solenoid was opoperating, it just wasn't energizing the glow plugs. Now it starts in two revolutions and no smoke.
      The general rule is rule out all of the simple solutions first!
      My Bosch fuel injection manual claims 90% of fuel injection parts are unnecessarily repalced due to poor dianostics-what we call and Easter egg hunt!

      --
      Dan

      --
      Dan