23172Re: [SabreSailboat] Attention gearheads

  • Leonard Bertaux
    Dec 1, 2009
      Peter

      The following describes general diagnostic indications from various colour exhausts:

      "1. EXCESSIVE EXHAUST SMOKE
      Excessive diesel smoke is due to incomplete combustion, normally caused by faulty injection system or other engine troubles. A small amount of exhaust smoke is normal during initial start-up or rapid acceleration.
      Type of Smoke
      Abnormal Exhaust smoke may be black, white or blue. Each type of smoke indicates engine problems and these are discussed below:

      Black Smoke

      Excessive black smoke is caused by a rich air-fuel mixture. This may result form problems with the injection pump or infection timing, which may in turn be clue to a choked air cleaner, worn fuel injectors, adulterated diesel fuel or the engine itself.

      White Smoke

      White smoke occurs mainly during cold starts, when the fuel tends to condense into liquid and does not burn due to cold engine parts. The most common reason for white smoke are in-operative glow plugs low engine compression, a bad injector spray pattern, late injection timing or injection pump problems.

      Blue Smoke

      Excessive blue smoke indicates problems from low engine compression and/or worn piston rings, scored cylinder walls or leaking valve stem seals The blue smoke is caused by crankcase oil entering the combustion chamber and being emitted after partial combustion through the exhaust"

      Len
      s/v Walkabout
      S38 MKII

      On Dec 1, 2009, at 11:10 AM, Jim Starkey wrote:

      Peter Tollini wrote:

      > After a miserable summer and fall of non-sailing due to illnesses,
      > weather and life in general, I found my W18 increasingly tough to
      > start, with lots of cranking and black smoke. When I got out, it
      > wouldn't rev over 1500 and was pushing out plumes of black smoke. I'm
      > thinking dirty/leaky injectors. Any other thoughts or sugggestions?

      Black smoke means one of two things: Either incomplete combustion or a
      pope hasn't been elected. Assuming you're not sailing the Sistine
      Chapel, lets assume the former.

      You might check your air filter. Blockage would explain all your
      symptoms. Besides, checking cheaps things first is always a good strategy.

      I had plenty of experience with clogged fuel filters during the Racor
      switcheroo. On a W27, the engine would develop full power, then
      gradually lose RPM, and eventually die. Fifteen minutes later, it would
      be willing to run again as fuel osmosed through the filter. That
      doesn't sound at all like what you've got.

      Water in the fuel is highly unlikely unless your Racor is saturated, and
      then it would probably kill the engine after destroying the injector pump.

      I also could be a dead cylinder due to low compression. A compression
      check is also cheap and will probably yield good news, at least from the
      wallet perspective.

      --
      Jim Starkey
      Founder, NimbusDB, Inc.