23170Re: [SabreSailboat] Attention gearheads

    Dec 1 8:10 AM
      Peter Tollini wrote:

      > After a miserable summer and fall of non-sailing due to illnesses,
      > weather and life in general, I found my W18 increasingly tough to
      > start, with lots of cranking and black smoke. When I got out, it
      > wouldn't rev over 1500 and was pushing out plumes of black smoke. I'm
      > thinking dirty/leaky injectors. Any other thoughts or sugggestions?

      Black smoke means one of two things: Either incomplete combustion or a
      pope hasn't been elected. Assuming you're not sailing the Sistine
      Chapel, lets assume the former.

      You might check your air filter. Blockage would explain all your
      symptoms. Besides, checking cheaps things first is always a good strategy.

      I had plenty of experience with clogged fuel filters during the Racor
      switcheroo. On a W27, the engine would develop full power, then
      gradually lose RPM, and eventually die. Fifteen minutes later, it would
      be willing to run again as fuel osmosed through the filter. That
      doesn't sound at all like what you've got.

      Water in the fuel is highly unlikely unless your Racor is saturated, and
      then it would probably kill the engine after destroying the injector pump.

      I also could be a dead cylinder due to low compression. A compression
      check is also cheap and will probably yield good news, at least from the
      wallet perspective.

      --
      Jim Starkey
      Founder, NimbusDB, Inc.