22919Re: NC Neuse River

  • cbr_deuce
    Nov 1, 2009
      Great stuff, I have never been into Morehead City, but 2 years ago on the way to FL I did get stuck in Beaufort over Thanksgiving due to weather. They really took care of us (all the boaters), Backstreets had a spread that was top shelf home cookin'! All provided by locals, don't tell my family but I didn't miss them........

      On the way back north I experience 30Kts NE at Maw Pt, so I can echo that point.

      Tell me more about Albemarle Plantation, looks like a nice place online. Water looks a bit skinny on the chart, is it dredged and well marked?

      thanks,
      joe

      --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Godwin Jones <sailbojangles@...> wrote:

      > Joe:
      >
      >   We sailed out of Jordan Creek off the Pungo River for 12 years in 80s and 90s.  Oracoke Island (Silver Lake) and Cape Lookout are the two mail destinations.  Just get to Oracoke before the afternoon sea breeze blows up.  In the hook at Capr Lookout, it can be like the Bahamas or it can be blowing a lot.  You can not go inside - just go out Beaufort Inlet, hang a left and sevem miles you are there.  Cedar Creek just inside Adams Creek across from Oriental is a great anchorage and Beaufort is always worth a visit (preferred over Morehead City).
      >
      >   Another destination is the Pamlico River.  Very scenic in Bath Creek with a lot of history.  Washington now has redeveloped the whole waterfront and is a good place to visit.  Also can go to Ctpress Landing and Board Creek has facilities.  Belhaven is run down a bit but OK.  If really adventurous, try Rose Bay and Swanquarter.
      >
      >   Bay River and Turnagain Bay offer good remote anchorages.  Water can be very rough in notheast wind around Maw Point where Pamico Sound, Bay River and Neuse come together.
      >
      >   A little further afield is the Albemarle.  We cruised there this fall with free slips in Elizabeth City, Edenton and Columbia.  Also were in Manteo and Albemarle Plantation (Yeopim Creek).
      >
      >   Happy sailing.
      >
      > Godwin
      > Bojangles S-34-II

    • Show all 12 messages in this topic