19845Re: [SabreSailboat] Alternator Noise

    Apr 1, 2009
      Robert Marthaler wrote:
      > Hi all,
      > Question. Has anyone had the problem of to much 'noise' from the altenator?
      > I have the Westerbeke 13 1984 with the orignal altenator and a ComNav auto pilot and it shuts down when I am running the engine. My temporary solution is to isolate the auto pilot, SS radio, Gps, and the Nexus instruments (all connected). Also I had to disconnect the combinner for the same reason.
      > I have tried a compressor at the autopilot, at the panel, and at the altenator itself.
      > The altenator was checked out and the OK bearings were replaced while it was in the shop. Also I replaced the compressor that is mounted on the altenator itself.

      This is a long shot, but a couple of years ago I had a weird alternator
      noise that neither I nor the boat yard could isolate. The alternator
      checked out just fine, no bearing problems, full output, etc. A week
      later the problem became obvious when a spade connector finished
      breaking. Apparently the vibration started the fracture, and the noise
      was from a high frequency make and break.

      Check the spade connectors. You may have the world's only 79 cent
      alternator problem.

      --
      Jim Starkey
      President, NimbusDB, Inc.