1899Re: [SabreSailboat] Re: radar

    Mar 1, 2006
      gmuller22 wrote:

      > Several possible solutions come to mind. One could use a short
      > mizzen on the 28 to mount the radar. This might have certain
      > benefits, such as enabling the skipper to warm a pop-tart in his
      > shirt pocket by simply turning on the radar or receiving e-mails
      > directly into his brain thereby maintaining the 24/7 accessibility
      > commitment to society that everyone seems to be operating in.

      Both objectives can be served by using a radar enabled with the email
      "pop" protocol (RFC 1939). "Pop" can also be used to transform dried
      corn kernels into yummy snack food, but most computer wireless
      implementations lack sufficient power output to pull it off, and are
      consequently consider virtually pop, almost pop, or pop inspired by a
      true story. I'm not sure a consumer grade 3.5 watt (input) radar can
      achieve the full potential of pop when applied to dry corn kernels, dry
      Linux kernels, or tarts, but email should be no problem. A upgrade to
      an Aegis class radar would certainly address the power question, and, if
      you select the Phalanx option, provide a nifty way to prevent pesky sea
      gulls from transforming your fore-deck into a poop-deck (it may be
      necessary to equip the sea gulls with transponders, available at nominal
      additional cost).

      --

      Jim Starkey
      Netfrastructure, Inc.