    Sep 5, 2008
      My seven year old boy gets Legos for a day of boatwork.  I've worked hard to make sure he enjoys it, so he loves to go to the boat.  Standard arrangement, enjoys bottom paint, swimming pools, and ratchets.  He'll recite the terms and clauses for Legos without a miss.  My 11 year old boy likes to drive.  The 14 year olds like to make sandwiches, fish and crab.  I get about 1/10th the work or sailing done, which I have come to realize is as it should be.
      Bill B

      On Fri, Sep 5, 2008 at 9:28 AM, Charles Sidwa <ChasSidwa@...> wrote:

      I recruited my 14 year old daughter a few days ago to help me snake wires from my GPS antena mounted on my aft rail to the pedestal.  I rewarded her with a new pair of sneakers and some clothes for school.  She loved that deal and it warmed my heart to see her working with a ratchet wrench coming up with grease on her elbows.  I will have to keep her in mechanic training as I'm 6'2 and 225lbs.  If it really gets tight I have a stringbean of a 12 year old available too!

      Charlie

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: sid wax
      Sent: Friday, September 05, 2008 8:23 AM
      Subject: [SabreSailboat] Re: Cockpit Seacock Maintenace

      Advil before is actually good advice! My left elbow (I'm left-handed)
      is still strained 4 weeks after the event. As skiers know, a bit of
      Advil in advance can help keep you loose and reduce inflammmation
      before it starts. It is not unlikely, when you make a pretzel out of
      yourself like that, that one of the twists won't untwist that
      smoothly.
      Also, I would not recommend that anyone over 180 lb or 5'10" attempt
      the feat, unless you are extremely limber.

      --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "Warren Kaplan"
      <setsail728@...> wrote:

      > The only thing Carter left out was the Advil!!! Take three before
      > undertaking this attempt to assume the physiognomy of a pretzel and
      > then take a handful after you negotiate extracating yourself from
      the
      > bowels of your boat!! Wash both doses down with single malt. Take
      an
      > extra swig or two just to make sure!!
      >
      > --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Carter Brey <cbrey@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Mike,
      > >
      > > I assume you're talking about the cockpit scupper seacocks.
      > >
      > > I have a 28, which must have even less room manoeuvring room than
      > your
      > > 34. But it can be done.
      > >
      > > My technique is to lower myself slowly into the lazarette (after
      > having
      > > removed any obstacles stored down there such as fuel jerry cans
      and
      > > mothers-in-law), steering my legs in the direction opposite to the
      > > seacock in question. I end up lying on my side facing the
      seacock,
      > my
      > > feet over on the other side of the lazarette. In this lateral
      > decubitus
      > > position I find I actually have a good range of motion for work.
      > >
      > > Be sure to put all the tools you think you may possibly need in a
      > bag
      > > and bring it with you. And John's advice to bring a rag to spread
      > > underneath to catch errant fasteners is good.
      > >
      > > Oh-- don't forget your dogeared copy of the Profanosaurus. And
      your
      > cell
      > > phone. And tie the lazarette hatch open with small stuff.
      > >
      > > Use the backstay to haul yourself up afterward. You may find you
      > need to
      > > exit in stages, rotating your body 90 degrees as you emerge from
      > your
      > > shadowy chrysalis.
      > >
      > > Best regards,
      > > Carter Brey
      > > S28 MkII #532 "Delphine"
      > > City Island, NY
      > >
      > > On Sun, 2008-08-31 at 21:58 -0700, Michael Sims wrote:
      > >

      > > > I know that someone in this group has had the same problem that
      > am
      > > > having now, I have a 1986 Sabre Mk II, 34 foot, The port side
      > seacock
      > > > apparently has had little maintenance performed on it by the
      POs.
      > > > was trying to clean it today, but I couldn't even reach the
      back
      > of it
      > > > to remove the nut. The seacock handle, I couldn't move because
      it
      > was
      > > > stuck. This subject seacock is between the steering housing
      > > > compartment, the CNG locker and the fuel tank bulkhead. Has
      anyone
      > > > found a easier way to remove this nut to clean this seacock. I
      was
      > > > considering cutting an inspection hole in the bulkhead wall (
      on
      > the
      > > > other side of the seacock) in the port deep cockpit locker to
      > access
      > > > the back of this seacock and to remove this nut. This
      inspection
      > hole
      > > > however would still be 12 inches away from the seacock. I can;t
      > place
      > > > this inspection hole any closer because of the fuel tank
      location

      > > > Any suggestions?
      > > >
      > > > Mike
      > > > Altomar II