      From: sid wax
      Sent: Friday, September 05, 2008 8:23 AM
      Subject: [SabreSailboat] Re: Cockpit Seacock Maintenace

      Advil before is actually good advice! My left elbow (I'm left-handed)
      is still strained 4 weeks after the event. As skiers know, a bit of
      Advil in advance can help keep you loose and reduce inflammmation
      before it starts. It is not unlikely, when you make a pretzel out of
      yourself like that, that one of the twists won't untwist that
      smoothly.
      Also, I would not recommend that anyone over 180 lb or 5'10" attempt
      the feat, unless you are extremely limber.

      --- In Sabresailboat@ yahoogroups. com, "Warren Kaplan"
      <setsail728@ ...> wrote:

      > The only thing Carter left out was the Advil!!! Take three before
      > undertaking this attempt to assume the physiognomy of a pretzel and
      > then take a handful after you negotiate extracating yourself from
      the
      > bowels of your boat!! Wash both doses down with single malt. Take
      an
      > extra swig or two just to make sure!!
      >
      > --- In Sabresailboat@ yahoogroups. com, Carter Brey <cbrey@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Mike,
      > >
      > > I assume you're talking about the cockpit scupper seacocks.
      > >
      > > I have a 28, which must have even less room manoeuvring room than
      > your
      > > 34. But it can be done.
      > >
      > > My technique is to lower myself slowly into the lazarette (after
      > having
      > > removed any obstacles stored down there such as fuel jerry cans
      and
      > > mothers-in-law) , steering my legs in the direction opposite to the
      > > seacock in question. I end up lying on my side facing the
      seacock,
      > my
      > > feet over on the other side of the lazarette. In this lateral
      > decubitus
      > > position I find I actually have a good range of motion for work.
      > >
      > > Be sure to put all the tools you think you may possibly need in a
      > bag
      > > and bring it with you. And John's advice to bring a rag to spread
      > > underneath to catch errant fasteners is good.
      > >
      > > Oh-- don't forget your dogeared copy of the Profanosaurus. And
      your
      > cell
      > > phone. And tie the lazarette hatch open with small stuff.
      > >
      > > Use the backstay to haul yourself up afterward. You may find you
      > need to
      > > exit in stages, rotating your body 90 degrees as you emerge from
      > your
      > > shadowy chrysalis.
      > >
      > > Best regards,
      > > Carter Brey
      > > S28 MkII #532 "Delphine"
      > > City Island, NY
      > >
      > > On Sun, 2008-08-31 at 21:58 -0700, Michael Sims wrote:
      > >

      > > > I know that someone in this group has had the same problem that
      > am
      > > > having now, I have a 1986 Sabre Mk II, 34 foot, The port side
      > seacock
      > > > apparently has had little maintenance performed on it by the
      POs.
      > > > was trying to clean it today, but I couldn't even reach the
      back
      > of it
      > > > to remove the nut. The seacock handle, I couldn't move because
      it
      > was
      > > > stuck. This subject seacock is between the steering housing
      > > > compartment, the CNG locker and the fuel tank bulkhead. Has
      anyone
      > > > found a easier way to remove this nut to clean this seacock. I
      was
      > > > considering cutting an inspection hole in the bulkhead wall (
      on
      > the
      > > > other side of the seacock) in the port deep cockpit locker to
      > access
      > > > the back of this seacock and to remove this nut. This
      inspection
      > hole
      > > > however would still be 12 inches away from the seacock. I can;t
      > place
      > > > this inspection hole any closer because of the fuel tank
      location

      > > > Any suggestions?
      > > >
      > > > Mike
      > > > Altomar II