      From: Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of sid wax
      Sent: Saturday, May 31, 2008 10:20 AM
      To: Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [SabreSailboat] Re: power boaters

      Actually, sail does not have the right of way over a commercial
      vessel operating in a restricted channel.

      And in general, you won't get very far arguing right of way when your
      pleasure craft, sail or not, is getting in the way of someone trying
      to make a living on the water.

      --- In Sabresailboat@ yahoogroups. com, "Peter Tollini" <pete@...>

      > Fate can work in mysterious ways. When we were almost run down by a
      > Viking doing 20kt on autopilot with a cocktail party in full swing
      on the
      > flybridge, I reported the incident to Maryland's DNR Police. The
      > who took the info was apologetic and said that since there was no
      > and the incident was not witnessed by a DNR officer, any
      enforcement action
      > would be difficult, but he'd check out the Viking for any other
      issues. I
      > was still hot, but I understood.
      > He called me back two days later and informed me that the Viking's
      > home port raised a suspicion that the boat was principally used in
      > and the Delaware home port was just a ruse to evade Maryland's 5%
      boat tax.
      > His hunch had proven correct and he seemed quite pleased to
      announce that
      > the owner (a Maryland resident) would be served with a tax bill of
      5% of the
      > boat's value, plus penalties and interest. I checked BUC - it
      was a $750K
      > boat, so that was a cool $37.5K bill, plus penalties and interest.
      > probably even put a noticable dent in the owner's fuel budget.
      > Moral - If you want to fly under the radar, don't be a conspicuous
      a-h. Good
      > advice for the fishermen as well.
      > Also, when I see boats obviously trolling, I try to alter course
      early to
      > clear their spread. They usually recognize the courtesy. Some
      still see it
      > as an entitlement, much like the fool who survives sailing across
      the bow of
      > a tug and tow in a channel, because "sail has the right of way."
      Can't do
      > much about either.
      > Pete
      > On 5/28/08, Dan Trainor <daniel.trainor@ ...> wrote:
      > >
      > > It was nice in Cuttyhunk this weekend. Less than 20 % of
      moorings taken
      > > and only 2 power boats. Mostly all saliboats. I think the
      majority of
      > > power boaters are done for - too costly.

      > >> tho.
      > >> >

      > >> Think of the spot market price of crude and how happy the jerk
      will be
      > >> at his next fillup. Jerk seeking missiles would be more
      immediate, but
      > >> the global economy will be almost as good.
      > >>
      > >> --
      > >> James Starkey, Senior Software Architect
      > >> MySQL Inc., Manchester, MA, USA, www.mysql.com
      > >> Office: 978 526-1376
      > >>

      > > --
      > > Dan