Net Zero Energy Houses in Canada

  • Tyree, Mel
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2008
      Greeting to all,
         I think it has been nearly 3 weeks since messages have been posted to SWIEP. Two weeks ago I presented a 1-h talk about my Net-Zero Energy House at a Canadian Conference, which included the 3rd Annual Solar Buildings Network. The SBN is a $7,000,000 project sponsored by the Canadian Government to develop affordable urban housing that captures as much solar energy on the building envelope in a year as is need to provide all needs electrical power, hot water and heating/AC in the year. Fifteen contracts were awarded to 3 years ago to build 15 houses in Canada and there is another competition to award 15 more contracts. So far, 8 NZEHs have been built and the 7 more are under construction. The aim is to have 1,500 such houses in operation by 2018 so that computer CAD programs can be developed for any builder to design future houses. By 2030 the Canadian Government expects to have rules in place requiring at ALL new houses constructed after 2030 must be NZEH.
         My house was the only house presented at the conference that has used a small wind turbine to meet some of the energy needs toward Net-Zero Energy status, because it is difficult to incorporate productive turbines in urban settings. Studies are underway to show how effective or ineffective small wind turbines are in urban England. See Appendix 2 in R#34 at http://www.ualberta.ca/~mtyree/SWIEP/Publications.html and see also
         I thank the approximately 12 new members who have joined SWIEP since the last posting.
         I am now back to my free-time hobby of working to improve SWIEP = a consumer reports group on small wind turbines and an organization that is devoted to promoting independent research on small wind turbines. I am working on a draft of TIMAPE part 4.
      Best regards,
      Mel Tyree, Moderator of SWIEP

      Mel Tyree, BA PhD(Cantab.) LLD (h.c.) FRSC
      Professor
      Department of Renewable Resources
      444 Earth Sciences Building
      University of Alberta