Black headed Gull ID?

  • maysodpd
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1, 2006
      Yesterday while out photographing Birds I saw this Gull with red legs
      and a red beak. Took a picture of it and looked in Sibley, and the
      only thing I can find similar is a black headed gull. Can anyone give
      me a positive ID for this gull?
      The gull was on the Palma Sola Bay in Bradenton.
      Here is the link to its photo (click on 1st image in gallery for
      larger picture)
      http://www.pbase.com/wembley/d2h_tests

      Thanks
      Gavin
    • barbara sallee
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 1, 2006
        I compared the Laughing and Black-Headed Gulls in Harrison's Seabirds and in Sibley with your photo. As far as I can tell, all the characteristics except the bill color fit the Laughing Gull. The bill size and shape are that of the L.G., the head and wing pattern and color fit the adult winter bird. I did read that a few pairs of Black-H's have bred in the NE US but this doesn't look like one to me. I think a similar bird to this one has been seen recently around Sanibel Is. and was IDed as a Laughing Gull with an abherent red bill.
        Barbara
        Bradenton, FL

        maysodpd <spoonerfamily@...> wrote:
        Yesterday while out photographing Birds I saw this Gull with red legs
        and a red beak. Took a picture of it and looked in Sibley, and the
        only thing I can find similar is a black headed gull. Can anyone give
        me a positive ID for this gull?
        The gull was on the Palma Sola Bay in Bradenton.
        Here is the link to its photo (click on 1st image in gallery for
        larger picture)
        http://www.pbase.com/wembley/d2h_tests

        Thanks
        Gavin

        Southwest floridas Birding Alaska outdoors Birding binoculars Birding tour Great outdoors

      • Colin Gjervold
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 1, 2006
          I'd agree that the bird in question is a Laughing Gull, but I guess I would have to cautiously disagree that the red pigmentation is "abbarant". In high breeding plumage Laughing Gulls often show increased red pigmentation in the bare parts (bill and legs), a trait which may not be highlighted enough in most standardly used field guides?

          There is a study that I found online which discusses aging of Laughing Gulls (including the % of red coloration vs black in the bill and legs) which you may find interesting.

          http://elibrary.unm.edu/sora/JFO/v067n04/p0565-p0574.pdf

          Regards,

          Colin Gjervold
          St Petersburg, FL