Possible Black-headed Gull at Sanibel toll booth area, 2 Jan 06

    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 2, 2006

      Birders in the Lee County/Ft Myers area may want to keep an eye out for a
      possible Black-headed Gull reported to me by a visiting birder this morning,
      Monday, 2 Jan 06.

      The gull was seen on the exposed mudflats between 9:30 and 10:00 AM just before
      the Sanibel Causeway toll both (when approaching from Ft Myers) on the left. A
      couple of us checked later in the day, but did not relocate the gull. When I
      was able to check the area later in the day, the tide was up and no mudflats
      were exposed. I also checked the causeway after the toll, as this has often
      been a popular roost area for gulls and terns, but very few were present. While
      the tide is low, Bunche Beach would also be worth checking. This area is
      located at the west end of John Morris Rd., which is three traffic lights before
      the toll both (not counting the light immediately before the toll booth).

      The gull was very well described as a basic plumaged adult having a red bill
      with a small amount of black, red legs, a trace of black markings on the head,
      and smaller than the Laughing Gulls it was loosely associated with. The birder
      has experience with both Black-headed Gull and Bonaparte's Gull. He would have
      liked to have seen the underwings in flight to be 100% sure, but the bird
      remained standing while he observed it. He eliminated Bonaparte's and Little
      Gull because in adult basic they do not have red bills and legs, so he feels
      very good about the ID, but hopes someone can follow-up and confirm it.

      Arlyne Salcedo
      SalcedoDVM@...
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 3, 2006

        I had a chance to speak to the visiting birder today, now back home, and get
        some specifics on the possible BH Gull. He had close, direct comparisons to
        nearby Laughing Gulls with the sun behind him and the aid of a Leica scope. He
        described the size as smaller, the mantle lighter gray, the bill smaller and red
        with a black tip, and the head pattern was cleaner and included the two thin and
        distinctive black markings of a BH Gull/Bonaparte's type gull, not the
        smudgy-like, less distinctive markings of a Laughing Gull in basic plumage
        (adult).

        His concern is that w/o seeing the bird in flight, it would turn out to be an
        aberrant Bonaparte's Gull. An aberrant Laughing Gull was not a possibility in
        his opinion.

        My first description was based on a quick conversation, so I apologize if it
        lacked the depth of this post. Rightly after the many aberrant LAGU in FL this
        fall, a few folks were curious if this gull could be possibly be one of those.

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Dick Konz
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 4, 2006
          Charlie and all,
          Went looking for the BH Gull this morning and couldn't find it. Conditions
          today were not an excuse. For me at present this bird will have to remain a
          question mark. If here, it could be anwhere along the bay or even on the
          spoil islands. On the way over and back I saw many Lauging Gulls for it to
          hang out with.
          Dick Konz,
          Sanibel

          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 5, 2006

            Add a first winter Franklin's Gull seen in the early AM on Wed 4 Jan, just as
            the tide was receding shortly after sunrise. Vince McGrath was able to relocate
            the bird shortly after his arrival, as did Wes Dirks by 8:15 or so. I had to
            leave at that point for an all-day engagement, but before I left Vince found a
            aberrant Laughing Gull with orange bill and legs!

            Will this gull turn out to be the possible Black-headed Gull??? I'm still
            holding out some optimism that one is around, as the Laughing Gull did not match
            up very well to the descriptions I have received from two different individuals.
            One of the sightings was in good light and conditions, the other in foggy
            conditions, so time will tell! I have some poor digiscoped images of the
            laugher, and some nice camera shots of the Franklin's I'll try to get out soon.
            Must run to work right now.

            Lillian Stokes sent me some great pics of the Franklin's Gull from yesterday,
            along with a nice comparison write up that I will try to post later today.

            Arlyne Salcedo
            SalcedoDVM@...