SRQ Bird non Alert December 22, 2005 Merry Christmas

  • srqbirdalerts@cs.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 21, 2005
      M E R R Y C H R I S T M A S

      Perhaps of Interest For Your Christmas visitors
      to the Sarasota, Manatee, and DeSoto Counties Area

      There are several interesting species of birds in the SRQ area that your
      Christmas visitors might find of interest, even if they have only a minimal
      interest in birds. They are:

      a. The 50 to 60 Indian peafowl (AKA peacocks and peahens) that live on the
      northern end of Longboat Key.
      b. The 50 to 100 black-hooded parakeets that live very close to the Gulf of
      Mexico in Sarasota County.
      c. The several hundred monk parakeets that live in northern Sarasota and
      Manatee Counties, in particular just south of Sarasota-Bradenton International
      Airport.
      d. The several hundred scrub jays, some of which are fearless of humans,
      living at Oscar Sheer State Park north of Venice.
      e. Two or three Indian house crows (all black except for the upper neck and
      head that are gray) that live (or were living) on the north side of the Venice
      Inlet.
      f. A thousand or more black-bellied whistling ducks that live east of I-75
      between Fruitville and Clark Roads (and a tiny bit south of Clark Road).
      Currently, about 45 live in the northern pond of Misty Creek on Bee Ridge Road
      Extension (they can be seen from the roadway if one gets out of their car and walks
      up to the no trespassing sign).
      g. Perhaps ten fulvous whistling ducks live with flocks of black-bellied
      whistling ducks (BBWDs), so look carefully at flocks of BBWDs for fulvous
      whistling ducks among them.
      h. Perhaps a dozen crested caracaras live along SR-72 between Myakka State
      Park and Arcadia. About half of the times that I drive this road in daylight I
      see one of them, occasionally two. Viewing the caracaras might be combined
      with a trip to Arcadia where there are two things of interest to see, the rodeo
      (78th annual rodeo will be held March 10 - 12, 2006 -
      http://www.arcadiarodeo.com/ ) and the city cemetery that holds the remains of 21 members of the
      Royal Air Force who died in Florida during W.W.II (look for the Union Jack in the
      cemetery - there were three RAF bases in Florida, one on the east side of
      Arcadia).
      i. At least 38 white-winged doves that seem to live in the eastern part
      Manatee and Sarasota counties (a flock of 38 was seen near the east end of Bee
      Ridge Road on 12/17/05).
      j. Several limkins can be seen at the Celery Fields. On Saturday, December
      17th 21 were counted in the CBC.

      Peter Rice

      SRQ Bird Alerts is brought to you by Peter Rice in
      association with the Sarasota Audubon Society.
      Visit them at www.SarasotaAudubon.org

      Please send any bird alerts input for the SRQ Bird Alerts E-mails to:
      SRQbirdAlerts@...

      Should you NOT receive SRQ Bird Alerts for more than two weeks, you may need to
      re-subscribe by sending an E-mail to the address above. We encourage you to
      forward the SRQ Bird Alerts E-mails to others and to encourage others to
      subscribe to our bird alerts E-mail list.

      SW Florida bird watching related links that may be of interest:

      Manatee Audubon Society
      http://www.manateeaudubon.org/
      Venice Audubon Society
      www.veniceaudubon.org
      Caloosa Bird Club (Ft. Myers, FL)
      http://www.caloosabirdclub.org/
      Peace River Audubon (Charlotte County, Florida)
      http://www.peaceriveraudubon.org/
      SW Florida Birdline
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SWFLBirdline/

      End of SRQ Bird Alert E-mail