Sanibel Island

  • Andrew Thornton
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 28, 2005
      Hello,

      I'm a biological intern on Sanibel Island and I just joined the list
      and thought I would chime in with what I've seen lately.

      One of the volunteers at the J. N. "Ding" Darling NWR reported two
      Ring-necked ducks on the wildlife drive friday. Also reported by
      volunteers have been an American Bittern at the Bailey Tract (which I
      have seen) as well as a red-headed woodpecker. We also had a pair of
      scissor-tailed flycatchers recently, along with the larger numbers of
      phoebes that have been moving in, along with the arrival of the
      yellow-rumps.

      Last night, after work I was walking around the maintenance shop on
      the refuge and I came face-to-face with an eastern screech owl,
      sitting on a wood fence. I was within ten feet before I realized
      that it was even a bird at all, much less that it was an owl. I
      backed off after he/she swiviled around to stare at me, and the owl
      stayed there. I think it was catching moths that were coming in to
      the light on the shed, as before I noticed it I was hearing wing
      beats around the light.

      I also birded Six-mile cypress on Thanksgiving day with a few
      friends, were we saw black & whites, pines, yellow-rumps, prairies,
      and one tennessee warbler. It was fairly quiet, though we had one
      wave of twenty+ small birds, about half of which were blue-gray
      gnatcatchers. We also saw one red-winged blackbird at wood duck pond.

      good birding,

      Andrew Thornton
      Biological Intern
      J. N. "Ding" Darling NWR