summary of sightings on Sanibel

  • paul matthews
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 12, 2005
      Hi All in sunny Florida,As per my warning in a previous posting,I
      brought my wife and four year old son for a fortnights vacation to
      Florida.We spent a week at sanibel(oct28th-nov4th),and here is a
      brief summary of my sightings.I managed a couple of early morning
      trips to the area around the lighthouse and 2 trips to ding
      darling,although the second one was spoiled by heavy rain.
      lots of palm warblers everywhere,plus a few yellow throated warblers
      seen around our condo complex at Sanibel arms west on east gulf
      drive.Also right behind our condo were 2 roosting screech owls(brown
      type).3 bald eagle,merlin,kestrel and whilst sitting on the beach I
      saw a bird of prey from distance, that had white wing patches and
      looked like a rough legged hawk,but my guide book made it sound like
      it was out of its usual area.any other sightings locally?I saw a
      bird that I tentatively identified as a philadelphia vireo at lakes
      park in fort myers(does this sound likely?)
      Ding Darling was good for all the usual egrets and herons,roseate
      spoonbills and recently returned white pelicans,and sitting on the
      beach is a real pleasure to see turnstone,sanderling,willet,sandwich
      and royal terns at really close distance(over here in the UK they
      fly off if you get within 50ft of them!)
      Going back to the lighthouse,I had a brief glimpse of a sparrow
      species with dark stripes on its head.I didn't see enough of it to
      identify it but a local birder(Vince)who I spoke to mentioned a lark
      sparrow had been seen the previous day.
      Hi also to Nancy who I know reads these postings and was also on
      vacation on sanibel last week,It was nice to meet you.
      We moved on to Orlando for our second week but I didn't add too many
      more species,though wild turkey and sandhill crane were good.In
      total I saw 70 species many of which were first timers for me.Thats
      probably not a great total but I didn't get a lot of real birding
      time.
      Sanibel never disappoints as a holiday destination,and we are
      missing it already.hopefully we'll be back next year,and still
      harbour dreams of one day moving over,so if anyone can offer me a
      job and a green card please get in touch!!
      regards
      Paul
      p.s I will shortly be adding some of my florida bird pictures to my
      website if anyone wants to take a look.www.nutbags.co.uk and follow
      link to pauls page(might be a few days until I get round to it)