Franklin's Gull- Bunche Beach Nov 9

  • McAvian@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 9, 2005
      Hi All,
      Had a feleling this morning so headed out early to Bunche Beach in S. Ft.
      Myers. The flats were just beginning to show as the tide receded. 1,000s of
      birds off to the north. When the closer flats to the north began to show gulls,
      terns,skimmers, etc began to congrgate. Right in front of the flock a lone gull
      stood. I immediately noticed the half black hood, bright broken eye ring. A
      laughing gull alit nearby for excellent comparison. It was clear the bird was
      smaller in stature and had a smaller less hooked bill. I watche this bird for
      1/2 hr. until it flew off towards Sanibel, therby giving me excellent flight
      looks as well. The tail was banded and had clear white edgings and it was close
      enough to see the white feathering along the outer primaries bordering just
      inside the black tips. My conclusion a first winter adult.
      Also a snowy Plover, 7 pipings (2 banded), loads of Marbled Godwits,
      Wilson(10, Semipal., Black-bellied Plovers, and hordes of Dunlin,Least, Western,
      Dowitcher,Willet, Ruddies, Sanders......
      McAvian@...
      Vince McGrath
      Ft. Myers,Fl.