sanibel lighthouse

  • mayhill10
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 2, 2005
      Hi from Illinois-I was fortunate enough to be on Sanibel on Sept 30 and
      Oct 1. Having never been to the lighthouse in the fall, I had no idea
      what to expect. However, birding was good, and had just picked up
      according to my companions, Wes D and Walt W. There were hundreds to
      thousands of palm warblers flying over on both mornings, with a small
      percent also on the ground or in trees. Along with the many palm
      warblers some of us also spotted(on the ground) 2 chipping sparrows.
      Other warblers were Tenn, prairie, yellow throated, black and white,
      chestnut sided, yellow, many parulas, and heard an ovenbird. We also
      had red eyed vireo, blue gray gnatcatchers, painted and indigo bunting,
      tree and barn swallows. And fying by were merlin, kestrel, peregrine,
      and sharp shinned hawks. And for me the 2 large flocks of great
      egrets, and one roseated spoonbill also flying south were special. I
      felt like I was a spectator at a magnificent event. Julie Long,
      St.Charles, Il longjuliea@...
    • mayhill10
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 21 7:52 PM
        I had a mini fallout of birds during the evening rains, from about 5:30 to 7 pm at the lighthouse park. There were many n. parula warblers, also a la. waterthrush and some black and white, hooded, and yellow throated warblers plus white eyed vireos, gnatcatchers,kingbirds, barn and tree swallows,purple martins and chimney swifts. Maybe they will stay around for a day or so. Julie Long, ST Charles Il and Sanibel
      • paul84727
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 30, 2011
          I had an hours walk around the lighthouse this morning.Not too much around,apart from lots of barn swallows,a very brief sighting of a cuckoo species,probably yellow billed.Also one common loon close to beach.And a couple of distant warblers which I couldn't identify!
          Paul
          Southampton,UK
        • paul84727
          Message 4 of 6 , May 2, 2011
            Had another walk around the lighthouse this morning.Again fairly quiet,but a couple of nice yellow throats and a gray catbird.I saw a warbler which I think was a female palm warbler.It was constantly flicking its tail but my guidebook doesn't mention this.Is this typical behaviour or is it more likely to have been something else? We leave Sanibel tomorrow,heading to Homossassa for a week.Looking forward to more warblers and passerines as the villa we are renting has bird feeders set up!
            Paul
            Southampton
            Uk