Dark Short-tailed Hawk in Port Charlotte

  • Jeff Bouton
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 11, 2005

      Had a personal first with a dark Short-tailed Hawk in Port Charlotte. This is the first time I've ever seen this species in Charlotte County. It was an immature dark morph bird soaring low over the east end of my street. I was riding with a neighbor running some errands, and was certain I could have seen the bird from my front yard. I thought about asking him to turn around and to see if we could make it back in time for me to see it from my yard, but resisted the urge to act like a Geek! It would have been too hard to explain to someone who didn't understand the listing game!

      Has anyone else out there ever seen a Charlotte County Short-tailed?...

      Best,

      Jeff Bouton
      Leica Sport Optics
      Port Charlotte, FL