SRQ Bird Alert June 07, 2005 - Masked Duck in Sarasota

  • srqbirdalerts@cs.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 7 8:58 PM
      1. 7 June - Stonybrook, Sarasota - Masked Duck in Sarasota

      A male Masked Duck was discovered in Sarasota yesterday, but word didn’t get
      out to the birding community until this afternoon. Maintenance folks at
      Stoneybrook, a section in Palmer Ranch, spotted it and Tommy Elliott, a birder from
      Venice was alerted to it today. Stonybrook is a gated community. The guards at
      the gate let us in this afternoon. We told them that others would follow.
      They seemed OK with that. If you go, please be considerate of them and the
      private property. Direx: I-75 south to Clark Road, Rte 72 in Sarasota. Go west. Make
      a left onto McIntosh, just past the railroad tracks, and keep going until
      Sarasota Central Parkway. Make a left. Go about ½ mile to Stoneybrook which will
      be on your right. Stop at the gate and then proceed to Meadow Wood (Meadow
      something). Make a left. The bird was in a pond on your right about 4/10 mile
      along. Someone put a pink flag in front of the pond. Jeanne Dubi—Sarasota
      dubi@...

      Directions by Jeff Palmer who saw the bird this afternoon.

      Take I-75 to Clark Road (SR 72)
      West 1.9 mi to McIntosh Rd (the first left past the RR tracks)
      South 3.45 mi to Central Sarasota Parkway
      East 0.5 mi to Stoney Brook Blvd
      Turn South and stop at the Guard House. Tell them you have come to see the
      bird.
      Proceed Southwest 0.4 mi to Glen Meadow Drive
      Go South 0.4 mi to a small street on the left named Veranda Way, there is a
      small pond opposite the street
      Look for the duck about 40' out from the pink flag in the grass.

      2. 6 June - Ft. DeSoto Park - Shiny Cowbirds
      From 2.45pm to 3pm on 6/6/05 at Ft. De Soto in St.
      Pete I had the 2 male Shiny Cowbirds, together with 2
      male Brown-headed Cowbirds, on the grass between the
      Bay Pier parking lot and the road, within yards of the
      Bay Pier concrete sign (supported by stone posts)
      (just past the Mulberry Tree area).

      During the 15 mins I observed, I noticed that the
      Shinys had a tendency to cock their tail up and drop
      their wings. This made them distinguishable from a
      fair distance. I'm not sure if this is typical or
      not. Cosmo Bloom Tampa, FL cosmo_bloom@...

      SRQ Bird Alerts is brought to you by Peter Rice in
      association with the Sarasota Audubon Society.
      Visit them at www.SarasotaAudubon.org

      Please send any bird alerts input for the SRQ Bird Alerts E-mails to:
      SRQbirdAlerts@...

      Should you NOT receive SRQ Bird Alerts for more than two weeks, you may need to
      re-subscribe by sending an E-mail to the address above. We encourage you to
      forward the SRQ Bird Alerts E-mails to others and to encourage others to
      subscribe to our bird alerts E-mail list.

      SW Florida bird watching related links that may be of interest:

      Manatee Audubon Society
      http://www.manateeaudubon.org/
      Venice Audubon Society
      www.veniceaudubon.org
      Caloosa Bird Club (Ft. Myers, FL)
      http://www.caloosabirdclub.org/
      Peace River Audubon (Charlotte County, Florida)
      http://www.peaceriveraudubon.org/
      SW Florida Birdline
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SWFLBirdline/

      End of SRQ Bird Alert E-mail