Today's Birding 01/02/02

  • Vincent Lucas
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 2, 2002
      Greetings:

      Despite the unrelenting rain today and the falling temperatures, Peter
      Murphy and I saw 70+ species. Passerines were nearly non-existent. We
      visted the North Naples Waste Water Retention Ponds (on Goodlette-Frank
      Rd. between Vanderbilt Beach Rd. & Immokalee Rd. in Naples), Bunche
      Beach, Lakes Park, Ding Darling NWR, Sanibel Lighthouse and Blind Pass.
      Our best birds were three Wood Ducks (two males & one female) in a small
      canal next to Veteran's Community Park on Immokalee Rd. in Naples and an
      amazing eight Wild Turkeys feeding along the road, just before Exit 20
      (Alico Rd.) on I-75! We also had an adult Great Black-backed Gull on the
      Sanibel Causeway. We had a total of nine species of ducks including
      Muscovy Duck, Wood Duck, Mottled Duck, Blue-winged Teal, Northern
      Shoveler, Ring-necked Duck, Lesser Scaup and both Hooded and Red-breasted
      Merganser. There were hundreds of Black Skimmers in the company of equal
      numbers of Royal & Sandwich Terns as well as Ring-billed, Laughing (and
      to a far lesser extent) Herring Gulls resting on the beach by the Holiday
      Inn at Ft. Myers Beach. The 40+ American White Pelicans at Ding Darling
      NWR were also memorable.

      Good birding!

      Vincent Lucas
      Naples