Goodlette-Frank Rd. Water Retention Ponds (Naples)

  • Vincent Lucas
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2002
      Happy New Year! Unlike other years when several of my birding friends and
      I try to start out the new year with a 100+ birds for the day, this year
      I opted to stay close to home instead. On my way to breakfast this
      morning, I stopped briefly at the water retention ponds along
      Goodlette-Frank Rd. This is a lesser known area to bird in the winter
      here in Naples. The location is about one mile north on Goodlette-Frank
      Rd. from the intersection of Vanderbilt Beach Rd. in North Naples. Simply
      stop and park off the road on the bridge here. A scope is very helpful. I
      found good numbers of Northern Shovelers, Ring-necked Duck, one Lesser
      Scaup (probably more there) as well as many Hooded Mergansers. Your
      "usual" wading birds were there as well as Pied-billed Grebe, Anhinga,
      Double-crested Cormorant, Brown Pelican, Osprey and shorebirds including
      both Greater and Lesser Yellowlegs, Dunlin and Least Sandpiper. This
      place is well worth checking out, especially for ducks, in winter.

      Good birding to all!

      Vincent Lucas
      Naples