Male Vermilion Flycatcher in Hendry County

  • Vincent Lucas
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 29, 2001
      Greetings:

      While taking around a couple of visiting birders from Washington, D.C.
      today, I refound the male Vermilion Flycatcher that I had originally
      found last winter. The bird is in Hendry County on Government Rd. (aka
      C.R. 833), approximately 14 miles north from the Big Cypress Seminole
      Travel Plaza on I-75. This is south of the "downtown/main section" of the
      Big Cypress Indian Reservation. Set your trip odometer at the plaza on
      I-75 and go north. At about the 14 mile point, look for a shiny new
      galvanized cattle watering trough on your right (east) side of the road.
      The male Vermilion flycatches from the overhanging powerline that crosses
      the canal near this watering trough. If not found precisely at this
      location, look across Government Rd. for a small sign on a closed gate
      that reads "Field #1-A, MJR & No Tresspassing". The Vermilion sometimes
      perches on the telephone line on this side of the road near this sign OR
      it may be in the Live Oak nearby, but it is there. . . . Vince McGrath
      has had several Western Kingbirds here in recent weeks but we saw none
      today. Last winter, a Scissor-tailed Flycatcher was also seen here.

      Other good birds for Hendry County today were 3 Limpkins and 3 Snail
      Kites along C.R. 846 near the Devil's Garden Packing Plant (oranges) in
      the small pond/lake on the north side of the road. Also seen were over
      100 American White Pelicans as well as one Sandhill Crane.

      There are no Shiny Cowbirds (as of yet) coming to the feeders at Brigg's
      Nature Center in Naples. A Great Horned Owl and plenty of Eastern Towhees
      and Florida Scrub-Jays were found on Shell Island Rd. -- the road that
      leads to the Nature Center.

      Good birding!

      Vincent Lucas
      Naples