Re: [SWFLBirdline] sanibel lighthouse

  • marie gonsalo
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 1 2:05 AM
      Hi Julie and other SWFLBirdliners,

      Thanks for reporting from Sanibel Lighthouse. As you know, the toll is now $6.00 plus the cost of parking at the Lighthouse so it's good to know that migrants are now coming through and be able to plan. I know Walt Winton doesn't email, but if anybody else goes out there and sees good birds, it is really important that they tell one of the Bird lists. (and if they can't do that-a phone call to one of the list members who would post for them would work).

      If you use the lists to get good birds, you really need to be fair and share what you see.

      To have Kentucky Warbler, Hooded, and Prothonotary out there since Tues. and have no reports from list members is unacceptable.

      For you, Julie, as an out-of-state person to make that extra effort to subscribe to SWFLBIRDLINE and report important migrants is very special. Thank you.

      Marie
      Marie Gonsalo
      Fort Myers
      BSeaside@...

      Sign-up for Ads Free at Mail.com
      http://promo.mail.com/adsfreejump.htm
    • mayhill10
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 2, 2005
        Hi from Illinois-I was fortunate enough to be on Sanibel on Sept 30 and
        Oct 1. Having never been to the lighthouse in the fall, I had no idea
        what to expect. However, birding was good, and had just picked up
        according to my companions, Wes D and Walt W. There were hundreds to
        thousands of palm warblers flying over on both mornings, with a small
        percent also on the ground or in trees. Along with the many palm
        warblers some of us also spotted(on the ground) 2 chipping sparrows.
        Other warblers were Tenn, prairie, yellow throated, black and white,
        chestnut sided, yellow, many parulas, and heard an ovenbird. We also
        had red eyed vireo, blue gray gnatcatchers, painted and indigo bunting,
        tree and barn swallows. And fying by were merlin, kestrel, peregrine,
        and sharp shinned hawks. And for me the 2 large flocks of great
        egrets, and one roseated spoonbill also flying south were special. I
        felt like I was a spectator at a magnificent event. Julie Long,
        St.Charles, Il longjuliea@...
      • mayhill10
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 21, 2010
          I had a mini fallout of birds during the evening rains, from about 5:30 to 7 pm at the lighthouse park. There were many n. parula warblers, also a la. waterthrush and some black and white, hooded, and yellow throated warblers plus white eyed vireos, gnatcatchers,kingbirds, barn and tree swallows,purple martins and chimney swifts. Maybe they will stay around for a day or so. Julie Long, ST Charles Il and Sanibel
        • paul84727
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 30 7:12 AM
            I had an hours walk around the lighthouse this morning.Not too much around,apart from lots of barn swallows,a very brief sighting of a cuckoo species,probably yellow billed.Also one common loon close to beach.And a couple of distant warblers which I couldn't identify!
            Paul
            Southampton,UK
          • paul84727
            Message 5 of 6 , May 2, 2011
              Had another walk around the lighthouse this morning.Again fairly quiet,but a couple of nice yellow throats and a gray catbird.I saw a warbler which I think was a female palm warbler.It was constantly flicking its tail but my guidebook doesn't mention this.Is this typical behaviour or is it more likely to have been something else? We leave Sanibel tomorrow,heading to Homossassa for a week.Looking forward to more warblers and passerines as the villa we are renting has bird feeders set up!
              Paul
              Southampton
              Uk