trip to SWFL last week

  • Andy Harding
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 28, 2005
      Firstly thanks to everyone who took the trouble to reply to my request for
      information before our trip.
      We had a great time, as expected.
      Just a couple of snippets which may not be of enormous interest to those
      of you who live in SWFL or visit regularly, but might help somebody.
      There is a G H Owl nest with two angry looking young next to the car park
      of the Community Congregationalist Church on the east side of the 41,
      opposite Baers furnishings. Thats about 1.5 miles south of the 41/ 865 (
      Bonita Beach Rd) intersection. An adult was sometimes at the nest, and on
      two occasions on the cross above the church
      Particular thanks to Marie Gonsalo who put up the note about Scissortail
      at Fritchey, again off the 41 south of Naples. A computer printout map
      produced for us by Jeff at the Ding Darling info centre and further
      guidance from the staff at AmericInn, Bonita Springs found us the right
      road ( we didn't know Fritchey was road!!), and just before that road does
      a ninety degree turn to the left, there it was - superb. After about 30
      mins it decided to fly over half a mile into the distance. So we were
      very lucky, since it clearly ranges very widely.
      Although my last trip was in exactly the same week in 2003, and with a
      very similar itinerary there were lots of differences in the birdlife.
      For example zero Ovenbirds in 2003, but at least 15 this time, with around
      10 of them on the Snake Bight ( Mosquito Bite is a better name) Trail near
      Flamingo.
      We saw a few Northern Waterthrushes which collectively exhibited a few
      differences plus a Waterthrush sp. which appeared very interesting, and I
      couldn't identify with certainty. I'd be pleased if anyone with a
      confident grasp of these two would like to mail me and I'll supply a few
      details.
      Lastly..bird of the trip...that's easy...my fantasy bird...Worm-eating
      Warbler, next to the broad track, almost at the end of the Gumbo Limbo
      Trail
      Thanks again
      Andy Harding
      Stony Stratford