Godwits and great black-back

  • nibor3212003
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 8, 2005
      Marbled godwits have been very regular on the "dog beach" in Bonita
      (in bad weather when the dogs are absent) and along the west side of
      Estero Bay. There have been from 3 to 9 present for the last two
      weeks. Also we have had very large flocks of the three regular gulls
      and terns, and skimmers on the north end of the Bonita Beach beach. A
      great black-backed gull resting with the flock today was the first
      I've seen on the beach in ten years. I suspect last years
      renourishment has much to do with these increased numbers.(Royal tern
      numbers seem to be increasing yearly. Is anyone else seeing huge
      flocks?) The thousands of robins reported around the state are here
      in Bonita also.

      Rare and unusal species have been scarce though; no scoters, avocets
      or western grebes so far.

      Bill Jones
      Bonita Beach