Nashville Warbler

  • McAvian@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 19, 2004
      Hi all,
      Not much is being heard from Lee County these days, be assured I'm here and
      birding often as I can. My situation is Charley has damaged the Lee coast to
      the extent that all parks remain closed, in particular our treasured Sanibel
      lighthouse. It is like a 33 acre Ft. DeSoto. Alas, I work at the other end of
      the islands, Captiva, ugh it is devastated and that is from a point of view of a
      daily birder. My regular job (eco-tourism) as yet does not exist, but by good
      fortune I've switch over to our security dept. It offers me 8 hrs. a day of
      continual monitoring of our resort. Unfortunately theres not much to monitor.
      We do have exciting moments at times. Today a pair of eagles went after an
      unsuspecting osprey with her breakfast, it quickly dropped it to gain speed,
      all were losers. Later one of the eagles spent the afternoon in a ragged aussie
      pine with in plain view of my position.Many flights of E. Kingbird groups up
      to 15. On the 13th 4 swallow-tailed kites flew over, also 12 c. nighthawks. On
      the 14th 20 frigatebirds soared overhead as well as hordes of swallows, mostly
      barn.
      The hard part is few opportunities to see passerines, especially my faves
      the warblers. We have yellow-throated I've spotted Parula and prairie, a yellow
      shot by last Friday. Today my luck changed! While on foot patrol (imagine
      being a birder and you have to walk around all day, that's the job) I heard an
      odd chirp and in a small bed beside a ragged tennis court was a clump of
      undamaged sea grape and oleander. Here a very active and vocal young Nashville
      Warbler was searching for bugs. I'm always curious about the pale to white gap on
      the belly of this bird, a very reliable field mark. It is literally the first
      vermivora I've seen in Fl. since April.
      A note on a field trip to the sod farms of South Bay's King Ranch on the
      16th. struck out on the targeted shorebirds but did see 80+ species on the day.
      Of note were 4 limpkins along Bolles Canal Rd. I cut across Holeyland WMA to
      Devil's Garden in Hendry. I went down towards STA5 along CR835 to visit Cannon
      Hammock Park. (I'm getting desperate for passerines) SUCCESS. Even though it
      was noon I found several N.Waterthrushes, 4 ovenbirds, redstarts, prairie, pine
      and a worm-eating. Red-eyed and white-eyed Vireos were present as was Great
      Crested Flycatcher. This is a common species on Captiva that is completely
      absent since Charley.
      Trying to find good news from disaster, hey! cold front coming thru, heads
      up
      Happy birding
      McAvian@...
      Vince McGrath