Re: [SWFLBirdline] Fork-tailed Flycatcher report from Pinellas County

    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 27, 2004

      The Fork-tailed Flycatcher was seen today at various locations along Beach Drive
      in St Petersburg
      (mentioned below), from the southern point of the street that enters into an
      apartment complex to just short of the original location at 4100 Beach Dr.

      Arlyne Salcedo
      SalcedoDVM@...

      From: Ron Smith <rsmith52 AT TAMPABAY.RR.COM>
      Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 20:18:28 -0400

      Hi all,

      Not to step on Margie's precious toes or her invaluable update, but here are
      some more precise directions in case anyone is interested in trying for the
      flycatcher tomorrow (and plus I checked with her and she told me to post);

      --- Coming from the north: From I-275 in St. Petersburg get off at the 54th
      Avenue SOUTH exit. (Do not get off on the 54th Avenue NORTH exit - the SOUTH
      exit is nearest the Skyway bridge). Follow the ramp down to the light and
      turn left. You are now eastbound on 54th Avenue South.

      --- Coming from the south: I-275 over the Skyway and follow the signs for
      the Bayway exit (as if you are going to Fort DeSoto). But when you get down
      to the light at the exit and would turn left to go to Fort DeSoto, turn
      right instead and you're now going east on 54th Avenue South.

      Go east on 54th Avenue South until it dead ends at 4th Street (about 2-3
      miles). Turn left (north) and go nine blocks to 45th Avenue South (This is
      a 4-way stop). Turn right.

      Follow 45th Avenue as it crosses a small bridge (you're now on the island
      called Coquina Key) and follow this same road (which has now changed its
      name from 45th Avenue to Lewis Blvd) until it ends at a stop sign (approx a
      mile). Turn left, and you are now on Beach Blvd. SE.

      Go approx 1/3 mile and watch for 4100 Beach Drive SE on your right.

      Best of luck,

      Ron Smith
      St. Pete, FL
      Rsmith52 AT tampabay.rr.com

      From: Margie Wilkinson <wwilkin3 AT TAMPABAY.RR.COM>
      Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 19:51:33 -0400

      Several people went to look for the flycatcher late this afternoon. It
      had made a brief appearance before we all arrived but hadn't stayed,
      probably because of a drizzle. It has been seen now for several days
      around 5:00 in the afternoon atop a Norfolk Island Pine next door to the
      house at 4100 Beach Dr. The tree is easily seen from the street. The
      big question is whether it will stay another day.

      The host, Frank, is a very gracious person and says birders are welcome.

      Several people cruised the neighborhood looking on other streets and
      wires but didn't find the flycatcher today.

      Margie Wilkinson
      St. Pete
      wwilkin3 AT tampabay.rr.com

      Charlie Ewell
      Arlyne Salcedo
      SalcedoDVM@...

      Yahoo! Groups Links
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 28, 2004

        The Fork-tailed Flycatcher was present again today (28 Jul 04) in the
        neighborhood along Beach Dr. on Coquina Key in the St. Petersburg area. Recent
        details can be found at:

        Arlyne Salcedo
        SalcedoDVM@...

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 30, 2004

          The fork-tailed Flycatcher is still present in St. Petersburg. Please check the
          recent posts on the lists below for updates and some restrictions as to where
          you can view the bird from.

          Arlyne Salcedo
          SalcedoDVM@...