Christmas in the Everglades

  • shane pruett
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 26, 2001
      I'm wondering if anyone on the list can help me. I will be visiting the
      Everglades over Christmas this year and hope to see as many of the south
      Florida specialties as possible. I'm a high school bio teacher and have had
      precious little time to get organized for what I might find. I'm hoping that
      there might be someone on this list with the time and inclination to just
      give me some pointers. I'll briefly describe my situation and if you can
      help, you can respond to kingbird@... or pru_man@... directly
      instead of having to put it on the list.

      I'll be staying in Flamingo from about the 23rd till the 30th or so. I'll be
      with family, but there will be enough cars that I think I'll be able to move
      around pretty freely on my own. I can't give a list per se of the species
      I'd like, but I can sum up with "south Florida specialties... any and all".
      I've been through the Everglades once, where I got my one and only gallinule
      at 30+ miles/hour. Other than that I've no experience down there. I don't
      know that I'll be able to venture too far from the Flamingo area, but from
      all I've ever heard, that shouldn't concern me too much. As far as my
      ability level, I'd rate myself as a pretty good general birder, so I'm not
      just looking for the easy ones.

      Thanks in advance to anyone who can help. I look forward to visiting your
      beautiful state. And if you find yourself in need of similar info on Jersey
      anytime soon, I'll help out as much as I can.

      Good birding and good day,
      Shane Pruett