Little Estero Lagoon/FM Beach, 27 Mar 04

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 27, 2004

      I don't have time for a full report today, but a trip out to the Little Estero
      Lagoon this AM with Lee County's Bird Patrol (volunteers that census county
      properties monthly), Sat Mar 27, had some unique sightings for this location.
      Of interest, the American Avocets (26 at the south end of the lagoon) and one of
      the female Black Scoters (usual area off the gulf beach just before the
      mangroves end and the lagoon is visible) are still present, as well as a Common
      Tern (carpal bar present) and Peregrine Falcon.

      New birds for me at the lagoon were 2 Black-necked Stilts and 2
      Chuck-Will's-widows! The Chucks came in off the gulf about 10:00 AM about 10
      minutes apart. They immediately searched for an area to rest, one in a tree
      behind a beach house and the other appeared to fly under a house up on stilts
      and landed in the car port! We also watched 3 Great Blue Herons heading north
      together over the gulf around 9:00AM.

      Most expected shorebirds were present in good numbers. I was not able to locate
      any Lesser Black-backed Gulls.

      Arlyne Salcedo
      SalcedoDVM@...
    • marie gonsalo
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 27, 2004
        Hi everybody,

        The alarm rang this am for me to get up to go on this trip, but I rolled over and conked out again. However, I did get out this afternoon and enjoyed the Avocets and Whimbrel that Charlie's group saw. (I know they got the Whimbrel because a message was on my machine tonight from my friend Woody who was on the trip!). Besides seeing the B.N. Stilts which were at the back lagoon and were a new bird for me at F.M.B. as well, I had another new F.M.B. bird, a Black-Crowned Night Heron at the front lagoon. It was a great afternoon to be out birding the beach. Wish I had seen the Chuck's though! Awesome!

        Almost fell into lagoon to confirm id on four possible Red Knots. Yes. Haven't seen Red Knots in quite a while. They are a year bird(s) for me. Dead Brown Pelican on land at front lagoon. Feathers looked in good condition. Neck elongated and head resting. Crabs waving their big claws around. Dragonflies out and about (have to look at Dunkle's book).

        Congratulations and thank you to Charlie for all his Bird Patrol/Lee County volunteer activities at FMB/Little Estero lagoons! And to all the other Bird Patrol volunteers!

        Marie
        Marie Gonsalo
        Fort Myers
        > I don't have time for a full report today, but a trip out to the Little Estero
        > Lagoon this AM with Lee County's Bird Patrol (volunteers that census county
        > properties monthly), Sat Mar 27, had some unique sightings for this location.
        > Of interest, the American Avocets (26 at the south end of the lagoon) and one of
        > the female Black Scoters (usual area off the gulf beach just before the
        > mangroves end and the lagoon is visible) are still present, as well as a Common
        > Tern (carpal bar present) and Peregrine Falcon.
        >
        > New birds for me at the lagoon were 2 Black-necked Stilts and 2
        > Chuck-Will's-widows! The Chucks came in off the gulf about 10:00 AM about 10
        > minutes apart. They immediately searched for an area to rest, one in a tree
        > behind a beach house and the other appeared to fly under a house up on stilts
        > and landed in the car port! We also watched 3 Great Blue Herons heading north
        > together over the gulf around 9:00AM.
        >
        > Most expected shorebirds were present in good numbers. I was not able to locate
        > any Lesser Black-backed Gulls.
        >
        > Charlie
        >

        > Charlie Ewell
        > Arlyne Salcedo
        > Cape Coral, FL
        > Anhinga42@...
        > SalcedoDVM@...
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        Sign-up for Ads Free at Mail.com
        http://promo.mail.com/adsfreejump.htm
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 31, 2004

          I've uploaded a digiscoped shot of one of the Red Knots Marie mentioned in her
          Little Estero Lagoon post at the SWFLBirdline home page. I believe I had 6 or 7
          earlier that day on Saturday. To check this and a few other shots from this
          month (Black Scoter, Avocet, Wilson's Plover, Western Sandpiper) go to:

          Click the photos link along the left side of the page. You will need to have a
          profile/password with Yahoo to view the photos, as well as archives. There are
          quite a few pics on the page now.

          Arlyne Salcedo
          SalcedoDVM@...