Big Cypress Bend 2/29

  • McAvian@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 29, 2004
      Hi All,
      Took advantage of the leap year to add just a few more to my Feb wanderings.
      today Audubon of Soutwest Florida had a field trip to Big Cypress Bend
      boardwalk in Fakahatchee and points West to Eagle Lakes park in Naples. Not many
      takers but 4 of us enjoyed a sudden surge of warblers at eyelevel along the
      boradwalk headed by an awesom Worm-eating Warbler, drab Magnolia, B&W, several
      Parulas, male Am. Redstart as well as Yellowthroat, Car. Wrens, Blue-headed and
      Whtie-eyed Vireos, BG Gnats, Titmice, phoebes, GC Flycatchers, pileated, downy,
      red-belly woodpeckers and 2 sapsuckers. The eagle was on her nest, a Great
      Horned owl was calling, other locals but the most interesting birds were a pair
      of Wood Ducks, haven't seen them in here for years and the calling suggests
      maying, didn't want to intrude(blush). Across 41 from the parking area was a nice
      flock of goldfinches, catbirds,house wren and some waders.
      At Eagle Lakes were over 30 Bronzed Cowbirds, loads of locals and a pair of
      Swallow-tailed Kites. Happy birding
      McAvian@...
      Vince McGrath
      Ft. Myers,Fl.