New Year's Day Birding -- South Florida

  • vlucas
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 2, 2004
      All:

      Yesterday, along with Arthur and Anne Wilson of Naples, we birded select
      areas of south Florida including Everglades National Park to start off
      the 2004 state list. Here are the highlights of the 77 or so species seen:

      Cape May Warbler (x1) -- in Mahogany trees in the parking lot at Flamingo
      Visitor's Center.

      Vermilion Flycatcher (x1 male) -- South Dade Greenway Trail just outside
      of E.N.P. where this bird has been since the third week in October.

      Lesser Nighthawk (x1) -- briefly seen at Eco Pond, E.N.P. at dusk. Other
      birders (including Ron Smith) told me they had four or more LENI on
      12/31/03.

      Northern Pintail (x2) -- Mrazek Pond in E.N.P. a few female Northern
      Shovelers also seen along with many Blu and Green-winged Teal.

      Snail Kite (x6) -- old abandoned airboat ride on Tamiami Trail near
      Everglades Tower Inn.
      Purple Gallinule (x1) -- Eco Pond, E.N.P.

      Barred Owl (x1) -- heard only along Big Cypress Bend Boardwalk in
      Fakahatchee Strand State Preserve, Collier County.

      Ruby-throated Hummingbird (x2) -- Pinecrest (Miami-Dade County). No
      Rufous Hummingbird seen at same location.

      Painted Bunting (x2) -- across Tamiami Trail from Big Cypress Bend
      Boardwalk in Fakahatchee Strand State Preserve, Collier County.

      Swamp Sparrow (x1) -- across Tamiami Trail from Big Cypress Bend
      Boardwalk in Fakahatchee Strand State Preserve, Collier County.

      Plus all of the other "usual suspects."

      Good birding!

      Vincent Lucas
      Naples