Birding in Lee, Hendry & Palm Beach Counties 12/30/03

  • vlucas
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 31, 2003
      All:

      Yesterday, 12/30/03, I had the pleasure of guiding two visiting
      California birders, Andrea & Chuck Tralka to some areas in Lee, Hendry &
      Palm Beach Counties in pursuit of lifers. We did well, although there
      were some big misses. Our best birds of the day, in no particular order,
      were as follows:

      Scissor-tailed Flycatcher (x3) -- South Clewiston along C.R. 835.
      Painted Bunting (x1 female) and Indigo Bunting (x4) -- White's feeders in
      Alva.
      White-winged Dove (x2) -- White's feeders in Alva.
      American Goldfinch -- about a dozen or more at White's feeders in Alva.
      Peregrine Falcon -- along Bolles Canal on C.R. 827, south of South Bay.
      Crested Caracara (x6) -- mostly along C.R. 832 near Devil's Garden.
      Sandhill Crane (x2) -- along C.R. 832 near Devil's Garden.
      Red-headed Woodpecker (x1) -- along Parkinson Road, Alva.
      Purple Swamphen (x4) -- Stormwater Treatment Area #5 off of Blumberg Rd,
      Hendry County.
      More Northern Harriers than I've ever seen in one day! -- various
      locations.

      Big misses: Florida Scrub-Jay (Lee County locales); Fulvous
      Whistling-Duck (Stormwater Treatment #5); Barn Owl (along Miami Canal);
      Smooth-billed Ani (along Bolles Canal on C.R. 827).

      We ended the day with a "life snake" for Chuck & Andrea. After leaving
      Stormwater Treatment Area #5, we nearly ran over a Dusky Pygmy
      Rattlesnake that was "flattened" on Blumberg Road. Apparently, it was
      doing this so as to absorb as much heat from the black macadam as
      possible. I swear it looked flattened by a car tire! As I approached the
      small snake, thinking it "dead", it rattled its tail and raised its
      arrowhead-shaped head and exposed its fangs to me. It remained in that
      position until we left. Pretty cool stuff. . . .

      Good birding and Happy New Year to all!

      Vincent Lucas
      Naples
      vlucas@...