Lesser Black-backed Gull; FM Beach 6 Dec 03

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 6, 2003

      No scoters this AM at Little Estero Lagoon, Ft Myers Beach but I did see an
      adult Lesser Black-backed Gull roosting on the exposed mudflat (across from the
      second pier to the south) with the Herring Gulls. Good numbers of Dunlin,
      Semipalmated Plovers, and peeps present. I didn't notice any Piping or Snowy
      Plovers, but I was on the east side of the lagoon making it tough to scan for
      shorebirds. A Whimbrel was also present. I suspect an eagle or falcon has been
      in the area, because the birds around the mudflat were VERY skittish.

      Arlyne Salcedo
      SalcedoDVM@...
    • marie gonsalo
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 6, 2003
        Hi guys,

        Just to clarify (and I hope I didn't mislead anybody), the Black Scoter was on the Gulf not in the Lagoon. When first seen, it was rather close in-the second time, it was further out, but still could be diagnosed without a scope.

        Glad Charlie had the L.B.B. Gull-had a good candidate in the air on Friday, but not 100% confident to report it. I've noticed for the last two winters that this Lesser Black Backed Gull seems to show up when the large group of Adult Herring Gulls come in.

        Besides the shorebirds that Charlie reported, some others I saw on Friday were: S.B. Dowitchers, Sanderling, Least Sandpipers, 1 Western, 2 Oystercatchers, Wilson's Plover, Black bellied Plover and 30 or so Red Knots on the Beach side at the tidal pools. 1 Caspian Tern, a few Forster's, many, many Royal and lesser amounts of Sandwich Terns.

        Earlier this year, after the Least Terns left, many, many Sandwich Terns came in with begging Juveniles with just a few Royals. Downy feathers were everywhere. Now a lot of the Sandwich have left and a big contingent of Royals have been present for at least 2-3 weeks. Let's see when we have our first view of Common Tern that have been wintering here in the past.

        Shorebirds were up in the air as well on Friday, but big stuff (B. Pelicans, Willets, some Terns )were hanging tough. A couple of weeks ago, the Caloosa Bird Club had an adult Bald Eagle on top of the condos.

        Many thanks to Charlie for his always interesting reports from this location.

        Marie
        Fort Myers

        > No scoters this AM at Little Estero Lagoon, Ft Myers Beach but I did see an
        > adult Lesser Black-backed Gull roosting on the exposed mudflat (across from the
        > second pier to the south) with the Herring Gulls. Good numbers of Dunlin,
        > Semipalmated Plovers, and peeps present. I didn't notice any Piping or Snowy
        > Plovers, but I was on the east side of the lagoon making it tough to scan for
        > shorebirds. A Whimbrel was also present. I suspect an eagle or falcon has been
        > in the area, because the birds around the mudflat were VERY skittish.
        >
        > Charlie
        >
        > Charlie Ewell
        > Arlyne Salcedo
        > Cape Coral, FL