Devil's Garden

  • McAvian@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 17, 2003
      The Caloosa Bird club had a great day out at the 'Garden' today. Primarily
      CR-832 stretching from SR-29 to Cr-833 in Southern Hendry Co. Upon turning off
      SR-29 we immediately spotted a Grasshopper Sparrow, on a dead shrub and it was
      very accomodating. Our next stop at the cattle bins a short distance ahead we
      spotted a male SHINY COWBIRD mixed in with brown-headeds a white-winged dove
      and more.
      after leaving the new (you pronounce it ) state park we spotted 5 Caracara 2
      dogfighting and two perched a fifth flying around. Sadly we spotted an imm.
      black-crowned Night Heron snagged on the barbed wire fence along the road, we
      stopped and discovered it very much alive, I extracted it and it is in critical
      condition at CROW on Sanibel for the night
      For anyone interested in Florida Scrub Jays in the LaBelle area try the SW
      corner of the E. Cowboy Way and Cedarwood intersection.
      McAvian@...
      Vince McGrath
      Ft. Myers,Fl.

    • McAvian@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 14, 2005
        Hi All,
        Caloosa Bird Club kicked off their birding season today with our traditional
        Devil's Garden field trip. From La Belle to Cannon Hammock Park.
        We started the day off with an adult Red-headed Woodpecker in town, our
        first stop was a wet field along SR-29 several miles down from town on the right.
        WOW! A Caracara was sitting in the field, up flew a Scissr-tailed Flycatcher-
        2 more were present along the fence, several photos taken. Well over 500
        Least Sandpipers and a Snipe were there among many other common varieties of
        songbirds, waders etc...
        CR-832 abonded with blackbirds,meadowlarks, savannah sparrows, shrikes,
        storks,spoonbills..... The Eagles were on their nest farther down. A stop at
        another wet field along CR-833 produced a Limkin, glossy ibis, gren-winged teal and
        much more. A western Kingbird was on the wires a half in from CR833 along CR
        835 as was an adult Peregrine. cannon Hammock Park took a beating from Wilma,
        many damaged oaks but birdy with warblers. Several miles farther on at the
        canal was a Northern Waterthrush, Yellow-cr. night Heron and indigo bunting.
        Our day's list was well over 70 species.
        McAvian@...
        Vince McGrath
        Ft. Myers,Fl.