Re: [SWFLBirdline] Bunche Beach 10/26/03

  • kinglet
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 27, 2003
      I'm flying down with a couple friends Nov 1st. for a week of birding on
      Sanibel and the surrounding area. Are these plovers that winter with you
      and will likely be in the area for us? Also the Godwit?
      -------
      Mona Bearor
      South Glens Falls, NY
      Southern Adirondacks

      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 2, 2003
        Mona,

        Hope you have internet access down here-just checked my email after a couple of weeks offline:

        at Bunche Bunch, you should be able to find all 5 plovers. Marbled Godwits are on and off. I find it better birding Bunche in the am rather than afternoon because of light issues, but anytime is good as long as its not high tide (and even then you could find some dowitchers or other largish wading birds). Bunche Beach is famous for its Long Billed Curlew. I don't know if it/they are back yet.

        If you enjoy shorebirds, you should also check out Ft. Myers Beach/Little Estero Lagoon(s) in back of the Holiday Inn (South end of Ft. Myers Beach)
        A bit further south of this location is "Dog Beach". Look for Avocets on a sandbar amongst other goodies. Scope needed.

        Happy shorebirding!

        Marie
        San Carlos Park
        BSeaside@...