local notes

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 8, 2003

      Here are a few notes on the local scene:

      Little Estero Lagoon at Ft Myers Beach still had large numbers of Marbled
      Godwits, Red Knots (shorebird numbers in general were excellent), Sandwich
      Terns, and Black Skimmers present this past weekend.

      Sanibel Lighthouse on Saturday: Walt Winton reported Red-eyed and
      Yellow-throated Vireos, Pewee, Catbird, Ovenbird, Redstart, Black-throated Blue,
      Blackburnian, Black-and-white, Yellow-throated, Prairie, Chestnut-sided, Parula,
      Palm, and Magnolia Warblers.

      Six-mile Cypress Slough on Sunday: Walt Winton reported 3 Yellow-billed Cuckoos,
      Summer Tanager, Red-eyed Vireo, and Black-throated Green, Magnolia, and
      Worm-eating Warblers. He noted it was very active with good numbers of
      individuals with-in species present.

      I had a male Baltimore Oriole and a grosbeak that was most likely a female/imm
      Red-breasted, but did not see close enough to separate Black-headed, in my
      neighborhood in SW Cape Coral.

      Shorebird article in News-Press 7 Oct 03:
      http://www.news-press.com/news/local_state/031007dingbirds.html

      Arlyne Salcedo
      SalcedoDVM@...
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 6, 2005

        What I've seen or been told about over the past week....

        Six Mile Cypress Preserve has had some nice warblers since the weather broke and
        the winds began coming out of the east/northeast:
        Blue-winged
        Tennessee
        No. Parula
        Yellow
        Chestnut-sided (3)
        Magnolia (3)
        Cape May
        Black-throated Blue
        Blackburnian
        Yellow-throated
        Prairie
        Black-and-white
        Am. Redstart
        Prothonotary
        Worm-eating
        Ovenbird
        No. Waterthrush
        Common Yellowthroat

        A fly-by Short-tailed Hawk was seen on Wednesday, and a Swainson's Thrush on
        Sunday.

        The east winds brought the following raptors to the Sanibel Lighthouse over the
        past weekend:
        Sharp-shinned Hawk
        Cooper's Hawk
        Red-shouldered Hawk (northern subspecies)
        Broad-winged Hawk
        American Kestrel (50+ on Sunday!)
        Merlin
        Peregrine Falcon (3 each day)
        Also seen were uncountable numbers of palm Warblers that were constantly leaving
        the island and heading into a stiff headwind during the first few hours of the
        morning. This strategy made the Merlins present quite excited! A small group
        of Chipping Sparrows was present on Saturday. A few flocks of 10+ Cliff
        Swallows cruised by on Sunday, and a single Tree Swallow on Saturday.

        Warblers seen were:
        Tennessee
        No. Parula
        Chestnut-sided