South bay/Belle Glade Sod Farms, 24 Aug 03

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 24, 2003

      Terry Doyle, Doug Suitor, Walt Winton, and myself ventured east to the South
      Bay/Belle Glade sod farm area this AM (24 Aug 03). Species and individual
      numbers were a little low, but some nice target birds were present. Greater and
      Lesser Yellowlegs, Black-necked Stilts, Least Sandpipers, Pectoral Sandpipers,
      and Killdeer were present at every location we checked, so I'll leave them out
      of the location summary that follows.

      Radio Tower (south of South Bay):
      Ruddy Turnstone- 2 adults were interesting to see this far inland, but Birdlife
      of FL (Stevenson and Anderson) note them as regularly occurring in this area in
      late summer.
      Black Tern
      Semipalmated Plover

      sod farms across US-27 from radio tower:
      King Rail- Un-real direct views from <100 ft.
      Upland Sandpipers- up to 10 or more at first sod field north of bridge just
      north of radio tower on US-27.
      Gull-billed Tern
      Black-bellied Plover

      Browns Farm Rd- We did not find any farms that were possible to view along the
      first half of the road. Lots of Sugar Cane where past years were viewable.

      Large sod farm area a few miles north of Browns Farm Rd:
      Black Tern
      Solitary Sandpiper
      Black-bellied Plover

      Arlyne Salcedo