Quick Sarasota Celery Field report 6/30

  • Jeff Bouton
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 30, 2003

      Just a short note, to let any know who might be interested in a great July
      bird. I found a full breeding plumaged male Ruddy Duck today at the Celery
      Fields. The bird can best be viewed from the lock across the road from the
      northern parking lot of Ackerman Park. From here the bird was visible
      beyond the lock in the large pool here. Nice blue bill! Also there were two
      Limpkin in the ditch along the road here. There were dozens of Storks in
      the fields here, and at least 3 Bald Eagles harassing them. There are a
      pair of American Coots in the second pool out from the gazebo, and the
      flooded fields beyond the celery fields on the north side of Palmer Road
      hold loads of waders including a few Spoonbills, both Ibis, Egrets, and
      Sandhill Cranes. There are a number of Black-necked Stilts all around, and
      there were at least a dozen Black-bellied Whistling-Ducks in the pond to
      the north of the Heliport (at the north end of the road just beyond the
      gazebo). I saw at least 1 (possibly two) Barn Swallows zipping around with
      the Martins as well.

      More details later on this and the other birds seen on a 2 day whirlwind. I
      just some might enjoy seeing a male Ruddy Duck in FL in July!

      Good Birding,

      Jeff Bouton
      Port Charlotte, FL
      jbouton2@...