Sanibel Lighthouse 8/12

  • McAvian@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 12, 2001
      With numerous treks to shorebird sites under my belt and,while not giving
      up on Mangrove Cuckoo but, not looking for it today, it is now time for
      migration in earnest. Walt Winton and I were pleasantly surprised to find an
      immature Mangrove Cuckoo high in a tall Red Mangrove along the center path.
      This is my first record for this bird here. I shouldn't be too surprised as
      90% of my Mangrove Cuckoo sightings are within 5 miles of here. Later it
      called quite close yards from the first sighting and I got to watch it preen
      for a few. It has maybe 2 tails feathers and both are ragged.
      by 9:00am it was clear the swallows would be moving today. At first a few
      barns then some martins. Then came the Cliff Swallows. 3 at first but as more
      groups passed the tally reached near 40, scatterings of Eastern Kingbirds,
      some BG Gnatcatchers and some warblers calling overhead. A few dropped in,
      mostly Prairie, 2 Yellow-throated and later a dull Am. Redstart. According to
      my records some species are absent as yet but it looks to be a good ole fall
      migration in progress. Happy Birding

      McAvian@...
      Vince McGrath
      Ft. Myers,Fl.